No More Brain Dumps During Exam Tutorial
Effective immediately, Project Management Institute (PMI)® and Prometric have made the following change to the examination format of all PMI® certifications: You are no longer allowed to take any notes during the 15 minute time of the tutorial.
Here is what this means for you.
Should I become PMP® Certified or Agile Certified?
An interesting question that some of my students have been asking lately is whether they should spend time studying for the Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam or concentrate on studying for the PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)® Exam. In response to this question I give one of my favorite answers as an instructor – “Well…. it depends!” You might as well ask me "Should I get a Master’s Degree in Mathematics or Physics?” Or "Should I become a Painter or a Philosopher?"
The Effectiveness of Various PMP® Exam Study Techniques
If you are just beginning or are in the middle of studying for the Project Management Professional (PMP)®, you probably already know that in order to pass, you need to fully understand both A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), Project Management Institute, Inc. (PMI)® and the (PMI)® Code of Ethics. You have probably spent some time thinking about the many study techniques available to you. In this article, I examine four PMP® Exam study techniques, their effectiveness, and some possible alternatives, you may not have considered.
6th Edition Guide Release Date and Timeline
This article is a brief overview of the release date for A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) Sixth Edition and how this affects the PMP® Exam.
In addition to giving you all the dates of the PMBOK® Guide 6 release we will also give you our recommendation on which version you should use for your PMP exam prep studies.
This article will be updated over time as Project Management Institute (PMI)® releases more specific release dates.
90-Day Simulator Extension Access for customers who didn’t pass the PMI® Exam
If you are a customer of The PM Exam Simulator and unfortunately didn’t pass your Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam , Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® Exam and PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)® Exam we will give you 90 additional days of access to the simulator.
If you didn’t pass your Project Management Institute (PMI)® Exam then you can get your access to The PM Exam Simulator extended, provided you adhere to the following notification process:
- You are a paying customer of The PM Exam Simulator.
- You did not ask for a refund on your account.
- You took your PMP®, PMI-ACP® or CAPM® exam but didn’t pass it.
- In the email please tell us the first name, last name and email address from your simulator account
We will extend your access if you meet all the criteria.
Have the Right Mindset for Your PMP® Exam
The fact that you are reading this article means that you are interested in getting your Project Management Professional (PMP)® certification. You may have already taken some steps, perhaps you are gathering information about it or perhaps you have done more than that. The good project manager that you are, you hopefully have in mind or even written down on paper a roadmap, timeline, and a set of steps to get your Project Management Professional (PMP)®. This is all well and good, but no matter where you are in your PMP preparation journey, what we want to emphasize in this article is the importance of having the right mindset for your Project Management Professional (PMP)® exam.
PMP® Material NOT in The Guide
If you are studying for or plan to study for the Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam you have likely heard you need to read A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) at least three times. But, did you know that reading the PMBOK® Guide is not enough to pass the PMP® Exam? One popular misconception concerning the PMP Exam is that it is based solely on the PMBOK® Guide. It is a great study tool but there is material on the PMP Exam that is not covered in the PMBOK® Guide so you need to locate and select quality supplemental resources to cover this additional material. The PMP Exam covers a variety of questions to include those that are based on the PMBOK® Guide, situational type questions and those that cover other project management concepts not necessarily included in the PMBOK® Guide. Here we will look at some additional resources you can use to help ensure you are as prepared as possible for the PMP Exam.
Meeting Management Techniques for the PMP® Exam
Have you ever been in a meeting and then sent a text message from your phone that read: Help! I'm Stuck in this Meeting and They Ran out of Donuts? I hope that you never have to and I also hope that anyone attending YOUR meetings never feels that such a cynical text message is necessary when you are leading it.
But what exactly makes a good meeting? What are the meeting management techniques that project managers have to know and master? Meeting management is part of the Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam Content Outline, so it is possible that you’ll be asked about this in your exam.
In this article, I will cover what you need to know about this subject for the PMP® Exam, and you’ll also pick up some great tips for managing successful meetings every time. I’ll share exactly what you have to do to manage your meetings successfully including the 10 essential meeting management techniques that you won’t want to miss!
Project and Process Tailoring for the PMP® Exam
According to A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) a project is “a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, service or result”. Being that each project is unique it is important to also understand that an organization's project management processes will likely need to be tailored in order to ensure project success. Project tailoring takes into consideration that project management processes are not "one size fits all", meaning there will be many times when processes need to be adjusted (added, removed, or revised) in order to ensure project success.
Tailoring in project management can happen at any time and for any process being applied to a project. Organizations often have a project methodology in place and may realize that this methodology needs to allow for adjustments to best manage a variety of projects. As a project manager you cannot blindly follow a methodology, you need to know how to assess a project to determine what processes will need to be adjusted in order to achieve a successful outcome for your project. Here we are going to look at a very high level method for process tailoring. This four step method includes: evaluating existing processes, assessing the project, documenting the tailoring process, and re-evaluating.
Emotional Intelligence and Project Management
Emotional intelligence is the ability to monitor your emotions or the emotions of others and use this to guide your actions. A shorter way to say this is to recognize or regulate emotions in ourselves and others.
As project managers, we deal with people all day, every day, and we rely on them to get the job done. In this article, I’ll show you how you can use your emotional intelligence in the different project management knowledge areas and how you can improve your skills. But first, let’s take a look at how this branch of management thinking first started.
2016 PMP® Exam Update and The PM PrepCast / The PM Exam Simulator
Update status overview:
- The PM Exam Simulator: 100% Updated
- The PM PrepCast: 100% updated
If you are preparing for The Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam, then you are probably aware that the PMP® Examination Content Outline has changed, and that Project Management Institute (PMI)® is changing The PMP Exam on January 11th, 2016 .
We have already identified the new exam content and are currently in the process of adding new lessons to The PM PrepCast. We're also adding new questions to The PM Exam Simulator. This is a free update for our current students who have not yet taken their PMP exam.
Here is our FAQ and project status update:
Lessons Learned Management Techniques for the PMP® Exam
This article contains everything you need to know about lessons learned management techniques to help achieve exactly that. Lessons learned management techniques for project management professionals are the knowledge and skills that a project manager needs to be able to use lessons learned to improve their projects.
They are different from the lessons learned about passing your Project Management Professional (PMP)® Exam. Those lessons are about exam practice and how other people prepared for and passed the PMP Exam. If you are in fact looking for lessons learned on how to pass the PMP Exam then you’ll find lots of tips and advice at https://www.project-management-prepcast.com/ll.
Back to lessons learned management techniques: they form part of your PMP Exam so this article will both help you prepare for questions on the topic and give you the tools you need to learn from your experiences on projects.
More Articles ...
- How to Prepare for the PMP® Exam in 30 Days
- The PMP® Exam Changes After 11 January 2016. Here’s What This Means For You.
- What is Opportunity Cost and Why Do You Need to Understand It
- How to Find a Great PMP® Mock Exam Online
- How to Get PMP® Certification Using Four Study Techniques
- 7 Questions Every Student SHOULD Ask Their PMP® Coach When Preparing for the PMP Exam
- The 7 Questions Every PMP® Student Asks Their Coach
- The Three R's You need to Pass the PMP® Certification Exam
- Why You Failed PMP® Exam and Missed Your Chance to Being a Certified Project Manager
- Project Management Training Scholarships for Aspiring Project Managers
- 10 Reasons To Use PMP Exam FlashCards as a PMP® Exam Study Material
- You Must Know The PM Plan for Your PMP® Exam Success
- 6 Myths About The PMP® Exam Debunked
- PMP® Exam Lessons Learned from Certified PMP, Scott Coonrod
- Study Project Management Process Groups and Knowledge Areas for the PMP® Exam
- Project Management Institute (PMI)® and the PMP® Exam to Construction Professionals
- Types of Project Management Institute (PMI)® Certifications Explained - Which one is right for you?
- When can a Project Management Institute (PMI)® Audit happen?
- What's more important? Project Management Skills or Industry Skills?
- How To Prepare for and Pass the PMP® Certification Exam
- How to Identify your PMP® Certification Eligibility
- PMP® Exam Lessons Learned and PMP Exam Tips from Those Who Have Been There
- The PMP® Certification Exam based on the Guide
- 7 No Non-Sense Tips To Save on the Cost of PMP® Exam Preparation
- Three Ways To Fail Your PMP® Exam Audit
- What Happens When You Apply For PMP® Exam
- 7 PMP® Exam Lessons Learned from PMP Certification Exam Passers
- Create Your Own PMP® Exam Sample Questions to Prepare for the PMP Exam
- A PMP® Exam Simulator Assesses Your Readiness for the PMP Exam
- The Best Time to Take PMP® exam
- How to Find the Real PMP® Exam Question on the PMP Certification Exam
- An Overview of The Guide
- What You Should Know About The Project Management Institute (PMI)® Code of Conduct
- 10 Steps to Becoming a PMP®
- The 12 Most Popular PMP® Study Materials for your PMP Exam Preparation
- What is my PMP® Eligibility if my Title is not “Project Manager”?
- How To Handle Your Actual PMP® Exam Day
- Three Ways to Prepare for the PMP® Exam
- Project Management Institute (PMI)® Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct for Project Managers
- How to Find the Best Answers for the PMP® Exam Questions to Become a Certified PMP
- Answer All PMP® Exam Question on the PMP Certification Exam
- What is the difference between PMP® Contact Hours and PDUs?
- The Secret Of Creating Your PMP® Brain Dump
- 12 Easy Ways to Earn PDUs for PMP® Recertification
- Guide to Those Who Failed the PMP® Exam
- How Joining Online PMP® Forums can Help Boost your PMP Studies
- How To Maintain Your PMP® Certification in 3 Easy Steps
- What to Expect from a PMP® Audit
- 7 Steps to Selecting your Online PMP® Exam Preparation Course
- Should you learn ITTOs by Heart?
- 5 Awesome Reasons to Attend a PMP® Exam Boot Camp to Pass the PMP® Exam
- 5 Reasons NOT to take PMP® Boot Camp Classes for your PMP® Exam Preparation
- Begin your PMP® study with The PMP® Credentials Handbook
- 8 Basic PMP® Study Tips in Preparing for the PMP® examination
- Types of PMP® Exam Questions You Should Know To Pass The PMP® Exam
- Guide to Getting 35 Contact Hours for PMP® Eligibility
- A PMP® Exam Simulator Will Help You Pass the PMP® Exam
- The 4 Secret Ingredients to Pass the PMP® Examination
- What is a PMP® Exam Simulator?
- How to Manage your Time for PMP® Exam Prep
- 7 Criteria for Selecting The Best PMP® Exam Simulator
- Create a PMP® Study Plan to Prepare for Success
- Free PMP® Practice Tests