fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Definition of reverse shadowing

Definition of reverse shadowing 4 years 10 months ago #17663

• Ashvini K. Chhabra
  • Ashvini K. Chhabra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
In the Integration management chapter of PMBOK 6, reverse shadowing term is mentioned under manage project knowledge but it is not defined . I searched on google . I found that on URL like knowledgemaverick.com , it is mentioned that when a junior employee trains the senior employees about the new trends or the systems. In wikipedia, it is mentioned as reverse mentoring & its definition almost matches. However, I was informed that reverse shadowing means when junior employee is watched & guided by senior employee while carrying out the tasks which is opposite of work shadowing. Please share your inputs.

Definition of reverse shadowing 4 years 10 months ago #17722

• Joe Pang
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 99
Hi Ashvini, I tried to look the term up in PMBOK 6 but couldn't find it, can you let me know which page I can find it?
Toronto-based project manager, I specialize in capital construction projects and digital transformation projects for the power & utility sector.

I welcome all types of collaboration opportunities, feel free to connect with me on Linkedin

Definition of reverse shadowing 4 years 10 months ago #17726

• Ashvini K. Chhabra
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Joe,
Reverse shadowing is mentioned on page 103 of PMBOK 6

Definition of reverse shadowing 4 years 10 months ago #17730

• Joe Pang
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 99
Hi Ashvini,

Gotcha, I think I will go with the definition by knowledgemaverick and wikipedia, because it is the definition PMI agrees on:

The idea of “reverse mentoring” has been talked about since the late 1990s by GE CEO Jack Welch, when
he asked GE executives to pair with people below them to learn how to use the Internet. The younger
generation brings knowledge and comfort with technology, having been exposed to various digital aspects
since birth. This generation is entering the workplace with a better grasp of a key business tool than more
senior workers.

PMI article

Hope this helps,
Joe
Toronto-based project manager, I specialize in capital construction projects and digital transformation projects for the power & utility sector.

I welcome all types of collaboration opportunities, feel free to connect with me on Linkedin

Definition of reverse shadowing 4 years 10 months ago #17736

• Ashvini K. Chhabra
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Joe. I had also browsed knowledgemaverick & wikipedia for the reverse shadowing/mentoring definition. Around 4 to 5 months ago, I came across 1 question where a junior employee being observed by senior employee aabout how to how to carry out the tasks. I chose the answer as on job training based on what I read in knowledgemaverick & wikipedia. I got the answer wrong. The correct answer mentioned was reverse shadowing which didn't match with what I read in knowledgemaverick & wikipedia .

I also thank you for sharing the article of GE which is posted on PMI site in this context.

Definition of reverse shadowing 4 years 8 months ago #18223

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Same exactly happened to me. I got the answer wrong!
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login