Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Part 2 of PMBOK & Study Plan

Part 2 of PMBOK & Study Plan 1 year 4 months ago #14051

• Sabina Akhter
  • Sabina Akhter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi All,

I wanted to know if you all studied part 2 of the PMBOK guide 6th edition (The Standard), and whether it's necessary/helpful to study that portion of the textbook? Or would I be ok with just studying the glossary and part 1 of it?

In addition, I am coming into this knowledge fairly new and wanted to know if anyone had a study plan/schedule they can share with me? I am scheduled to take the exam on august 18th and want to make sure I am prepared and able to pass on the 1st try. Thanks in advance!

Part 2 of PMBOK & Study Plan 1 year 4 months ago #14055

• John Wolverton
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Sabina Akhter
The best plans are the ones you come up with for yourself. I do recommend that you take a pre-test (free one) to see what areas you are weak in. I also recommend that you follow the plan that works for most people, prep-cast style videos, a study guide book and the PMBOK. You can enhance your training with flash cards you make from the PMBOK Guide. Plan on a couple hours a day 5 days a week and the plan backwards from your test date. There are many examples on line if you Google them.
Best Wishes
jfw
John F. Wolverton, PMP®

Part 2 of PMBOK & Study Plan 10 months 1 week ago #15563

• Zhenni Liu
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have the same question about PMBOK part 2.

Do we need to cover that for PMP exam?

Part 2 of PMBOK & Study Plan 10 months 1 day ago #15646

• nitzan omer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Did you get an answer ? I'm trying to figure out the same thing

Part 2 of PMBOK & Study Plan 10 months 1 day ago #15649

• Cynthia Lim Louis, PMP
  • Thank you received: 16
Hi Sabina,
I agree with John. The best study plan is something you come up for yourself based on your work schedule, social life and commitment at home. What I did was I work backwards from the date of my exams. Weekdays I studied from 9-11pm. On weekends, I only studied on Saturday morning till noon (family commitment) and I don't study on Sunday because of church, grocery shopping and spending time with family. Most importantly, once you have a study plan, stick to it as much as you can. In your study plan, remember to add mock exams (i put mock exams as a "break" for me even though I have not finished studying some chapters).

Part 1 and part 2 of PMBOK 6 are the same except that...
- Part 1 is arranged by knowledge areas which include ITTOs, as well as the new 4 sections (key concepts, emerging trends, tailoring considerations and consideration for agile/adaptive environments) at the start of each knowledge area chapter.
- Part 2 is arranged by the 5 process groups. They only showed Inputs and Outputs. Much simplified as compared to Part 1.
In essence, part 1 is more detailed than part 2, and so if time doesn't permit, then concentrate on Part 1 and glossary would be sufficient

Hope this helps! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zhenni Liu

Part 2 of PMBOK & Study Plan 10 months 1 day ago #15650

• Cynthia Lim Louis, PMP
  • Thank you received: 16
Oh... one more thing I would like to add. Go to Appendix X6 on page 685 of PMBOK 6. The tools and techniques table helps me a lot when I was studying for my exams and I hope this will help you too :).

Best of luck in you upcoming exams.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zhenni Liu
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasScott GillardMary Kathrine PaduaSteven Mudrinich, PMPCynthia Lim Louis, PMPTracy Shagnea, PMPPatrick Floris PhD PMPJoe PangJohn Paul BugarinJason YorekLuke HoSimone ChristieAmy MartinezDaniel DewartEmily RiveraMani Selvan

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login
Boost Your PMP Exam Prep in Only Eight Hours! Join the Live PMP Coaching Class on September 21/22 for just $179. Click to learn more... OR Click to watch a free session...