Welcome, Guest
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: PMI No fault audit failure

PMI No fault audit failure 4 months 2 weeks ago #7838

• Rekha Karthickeyan
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi
Appreciate any help on this. My PMI application went into audit. I sent my experience verification forms in a sealed envelop filled and signed / sealed by my former managers under whom I executed the projects. My education and 35 contact hours have been verified but I have been assigned a non fault audit failure as per below. I have been truthful in my role description but u may not have used wording expected by PMI. Any suggestions on how to redraft my application so I don't have to deal with this again ?

Thanks
Rekha

Email from PMI
Thanks for your patience in the audit process. Upon a thorough review of your application it has come to our attention that the projects listed on your application do not meet the requirements of the Project Management Professional (PMP®) credential. As such, we will be unable to approve your application at this time. Note, your diploma and certificate of 35 contact hours were received. These met the education requirements.

The projects listed on your application do not meet the experience requirement because the deliverables you documented do not indicate how you lead and directed a cross functional team in all five process groups (initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling and closing) across all your projects submitted on the application. Note, you do not need to have experience in all five groups on each project, but the entire application needs to have the groups.

Because your application does not meet the experience requirements, we are unable to proceed with the audit at this time. Your application has been failed for the reason of “no fault,” meaning that you were unable to comply with the candidate audit due to your application not meeting these requirements. There is no penalty period associated with this, and you may re-apply when you are able to meet the minimum eligibility requirements. Should you choose to re-apply, your new application will again be audited after payment is submitted. The education requirements do not have to be verified on the next application. We have also requested a refund of your examination fees in accordance with the refund policy outlined on page 13 in the PMP Credential Handbook. This will be returned using the same method by which you originally submitted payment. An associate from our finance team will reach out via email in 7-10 business days.

The PMP credential recognizes the competence of an individual to perform in the role of a project manager, specifically experiences in leading and directing projects. All candidates are asked to adhere to PMI's rigorous eligibility requirements; failure on our part to uphold these requirements jeopardizes the integrity of the PMP credential. PMI® requires that qualified PMP candidates:

• Perform their duties under general supervision and are responsible for all aspects of the project for the life of the project(s) across all five domain areas
• Lead and direct cross-functional teams to deliver projects within the constraints of schedule, budget and resources
• Demonstrate sufficient knowledge and experience to appropriately apply a methodology to projects that have reasonably well-defined project requirements and deliverables.

Please consider the following project criteria when submitting a new application:

• Project entries represent professional and compensated work; a project is defined as a temporary endeavor with a definite beginning and end undertaken to create a unique project, product or service.
• Tasks documented are project tasks, and not routine, operational or administrative in nature.
• Projects are documented individually, and multiple projects are not documented as one.
• Hours of experience are reasonable for the timeframe of the project.
• Project titles reflect the true project title, and not the candidate’s role or function
• Deliverables are documented clearly, and in each process area claimed for hours.

Additional information regarding the application requirements and role definitions can be found in the PMP Credential Handbook

PMI No fault audit failure 4 months 2 weeks ago #7848

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Thank you received: 34
Hi Rekha,

Sorry to hear about your application.

While you might have been truthful in your role description, I guess it got rejected because of the following:

The projects listed on your application do not meet the experience requirement because the deliverables you documented do not indicate how you lead and directed a cross functional team in all five process groups (initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling and closing) across all your projects submitted on the application. Note, you do not need to have experience in all five groups on each project, but the entire application needs to have the groups.

We will need to see the actual application to be able to help further.

Meanwhile you can have a re-look at the application form from the point of view of what PMI has stated as well as page 6-8 of the PMP Handbook.
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum

PMI No fault audit failure 4 months 2 weeks ago #7859

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Administrator
  • PrepCast Instructor
  • Thank you received: 157
Rekha,

I reached out to another student who failed his audit last year. He told me the following:
On the first application, (the one that I failed the first audit), I made the following mistakes: I described a project which had unfamiliar project life cycle phases (non-IT and non-construction), emphasized specific WBS packages by title and highlighted specific activities where I contributed with what the PMBOK Guide calls "expert power". When I was told why it wasn't accepted, I was told that I should have described my contributions as a project manager, and not as one of the developers.

On the second application, the one that passed the second audit, I made every one of the 550-characters count and didn't repeat any of the same mistakes. Here is what I used as my description, modified for anonymity.

"The objective: create an E-commerce website where the public can buy the client's products. As PM, I identified the stakeholders, determined their expectations, created the project scope statement, produced the WBS with acquired team members, got sign off on the PM plan, managed and controlled the team, handling issues and changes as needed, along with gaining acceptance of the product and transitioning it to operations and updating lessons learned. The resulting product, the corporate website was created and launched on time and finished within scope and budget."

He also has the following advice for you:
What's most important now is for him to pick new and different projects (from the last 8 years) and use those as his projects - and not use the ones he used that failed. The PMI folks need to keep face. They won't pass the ones they previously failed. He should forget about re-wording the ones that that they rejected. If he uses something like the language that I had provided (that passed), he should do OK.

At the same time, since he failed his first audit, he should expect to be audited again. Stacked deck. But, if he picks different projects (from the last 8 years) that are IT or construction (two domains they accept and know more easily), and he uses words like those I provided (of course they should be true), then if he has someone to vouch for him on the audit paperwork, he should pass the second audit.

Tell him that it's a speedbump and not a roadblock. It will cost him the extra time, money and aggravation, but he should be able to move forward and then the only (and it is significant) thing left is to pass the PMP test.

One other thing that I remember from my conversation with him is that he telephoned PMI directly to discuss his failed audit. I'll find out how exactly he proceeded.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Cornelius Fichtner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rahul Kakkar

PMI No fault audit failure 3 months 3 weeks ago #8084

• Mimi
good day,

I also got the similar response as Rekha and would appreciate if you can help me to pass the audit. They requested that my manager send the objectives and project titles to them which she did. I would like to know how must we write them in order to pass the audit.

PMI No fault audit failure 3 months 2 weeks ago #8109

• Rekha Karthickeyan
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,
As Mr Fichtner has suggested, i called the PMI to discuss in detail my projects and their reason for rejecting it. My initial application was delivery oriented and hence it was rejected for lack of PM experience. This time i focused on making it more process oriented and added a lot of keywords from the PMI lexicon that fit what i did in the actual projects. Note, i did work as a PM / Project coordinator on most of my projects but i made the mistake of writing what i was responsible to deliver instead of describing how i did it. PMI does go through a lot of details on the call so i wouldn't suggest writing anything that you have not done.

I resubmitted my application (with the fees) with the same projects reworded, called PMI again to review my project descriptions and they were ok with it, also my stakeholders did not have any issues with the new description so they had no issues validating it.

My application has now been validated and i am all set to take the exam.

Good luck and hope it helps.

Thanks
Rekha

PMI No fault audit failure 3 months 2 weeks ago #8122

• Ashutosh Dixit
Hello All - I have also been communicated of PMI PMP No fault Audit.

Can anyone provide me inputs -- i have modified the package and have 3 projects under the same manager.

Does he just need to sign off or also provide his feedback against each project.

PMI No fault audit failure 1 week 6 hours ago #9041

• CX518
PMI reject candidates to make money. Shame.
Moderators: Yolanda Mabutas, Ahmed Amin, Scott Gillard, Michael DeCicco, Rahul Kakkar, Fernando Jr Sinlao Lim, Mary Kathrine Padua, Chris Preziotti, Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL, Christian Winter, Kevin Nason, Michael Sumaquial, PMP, Mark Wuenscher, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®