fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Online Pearson VUE Revoked My PMP Exam

Online Pearson VUE Revoked My PMP Exam 10 months 3 weeks ago #26522

• HADI SHIRMOHAMADALI
  • HADI SHIRMOHAMADALI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Good morning,

I am writing to you as an aspiring PMP candidate that has been studying rigorously for the past 3 months in preparation for my PMP exam. I opted to take the exam from home due to the convenience but it was by the far the worst mistake as it turned out to be a complete nightmare.

I was scheduled to take the exam last Tuesday, February 23rd, 2021 from my "home" online office. When the exam started the Pearson VUE proctor talked to me through the online portal and told me the ground rules. Quickly I realized that Pearson VUE proctors were watching me very very closely. They started to tell me to move closer to the camera, which made my face only 2 inches from the camera. They told me never to my eyes and always look forward or they will revoke my exam. They told me to stop whispering the questions or mumbling out loud which I normally do when taking an exam. For context, the proctor would interrupt my exam every 5 minutes to warn me about something i was doing wrong and that they would revoke my exam. It is impossible to take the test under these conditions of stress as you are unable to even read a question or focus.

Lastly, after i finished my first section i was given a 10 minute break. When i returned from the break i was told by the proctor to take off my watch which i had on the entire exam. I listened to the proctor and took off my watch. When i returned to the exam, the proctor said i moved out of the view of the camera and that he is now revoking my exam. I tried to plead with him and was even in tears at one point due to the traumatic events of the exam.

One week later now, I am lost and not knowing what i can do to resolve this. Pearson said they would investigate this issue but now have told me to contact PMI.

I have never cheated on an exam and this experience was by far the worst test taking experience of my life. I am at a loss of words and do not what next steps to take to retake this exam.

Online Pearson VUE Revoked My PMP Exam 10 months 3 weeks ago #26544

• Elena Mekhanoshina
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi Hadi,

This is such a devastating experience that you had to go through. The online Pearson exam is very tough on making sure people are not cheating. They try to do their best to make sure the integrity of the exam is preserved, and it is tough to do when the only means they have is a laptop camera without 360 view. Having said that, I agree the experience is not a pleasant one. During my online exam, they constantly interrupted by asking me not to keep my hands close to the mouth, or not talking/mumbling questions/answers, etc. Honestly, I was afraid to even look up above the screen or even look at the window. The experience was very stressful, and I was determined that if I don't pass, I won't be retaking an online exam.

In your situation, can you consider taking an exam in offline exam centers? I wouldn't suggest trying the online exam again - the experience won't likely change. But also, please engage with Pearson/PMI to try to get the results of their investigation of your exam experience.

Please keep your head high and be assured that you have done nothing wrong.

Online Pearson VUE Revoked My PMP Exam 5 months 3 weeks ago #27974

• PearsonVue Devastated Client
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Your experience is really traumatic and I would say it can be said inhumane.
This has happened also to a few of the takers I have known. Especially if the proctors and takers are from different "competing countries".
I even suspected that some of them might be involved in proxy testing that they will fail the takers so that they will have some "clients".
PearsonVue shall investigate the integrity of their proctors especially those coming from...... (where cheating is a norm)

Online Pearson VUE Revoked My PMP Exam 3 months 4 weeks ago #28296

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
To me the proctor said, you are coming too close to the camera, don't speak,..... Than all of a sudden the exam went off my screen and I rushed to check the internet connection, that was the (I had done 150 questions of 180), point when proctor said, I moved away(max 10sec) so revoked my exam. I never knew sitting in the comfort of house is so uncomfortable. With no one in room and only you, you can't even mumble your question.
Last edit: by Yolanda Mabutas.

Online Pearson VUE Revoked My PMP Exam 3 months 3 weeks ago #28324

• Trishna Patel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Hadi

This is the same traumatic experience I had last year so decided to take my exam in person this year and passed with AT. I suggest you call PMI, also send an email to the customer service and explain everything again. They will allow you to reappear the exam at no cost. This what they offered me too, but my experience last year was so traumatic that online exam was a complete no for me. I took in person only for which I paid, at the end it was worth my efforts. In person experience is excellent excellent !!!

Online Pearson VUE Revoked My PMP Exam 3 months 3 days ago #28527

• Tatiana Belousov
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I had a similar experience this morning. One proctor asked me to stop reading questions out loud which I did and then another proctor revoked my exam by saying that I was mumbling. I was simply moving my lips when reading the questions and answers. I am extremely mad and think that the proctors should be able to hear whether you are talking or not, and if needed asking to see if anyone is in the room by turning your laptop around.

Online Pearson VUE Revoked My PMP Exam 2 months 1 week ago #28639

• Laia
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hope I have a better experience... I preferred to take it on-line because I get very nervous when commuting to exams. I will try to be looking at the screen all the time... I guess it's a good idea to close my blinks... I'm used to be superfocused on screens because of my work and luckily I never been a "loud reader" nor I move my mouth when reading (we were took off very seriously at school if we did... I guess that now somehow this is going to be worth XD).

I'm very sorry to hear what happened to you and I hope that you resolved everything and passed the exam.

Today I took the exam, I was so scared that I emptied the room, only a desk and empty furniture with american tape in doors (like a tamper evident). I was looking at the screen all the time and made efforts to keep my mouth closed ALL the exam (my tension was accumulating there). It is thanks to feedback like yours that I was able to prepare my exam. I only looked the screen and closed blinks in windows to avoid the temptation to look through them while thinking an answer. 0 warnings but I think I looked like a robot.

I just hope that you soon repeat the exam and pass!
Last edit: by Laia.

Online Pearson VUE Revoked My PMP Exam 2 months 1 week ago #28640

• Joseph M Couture
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
With all due respect, I do not understand how this can come as a surprise to some. This is simply normal testing conditions while participating in a remote testing environment.

For example, while undergoing my MBA, I had to test like this constantly because the coursework/tests were remote.
Similarly, with my Master's degree in IT, it is simply the only way that a proctor can observe you and that the test would retain its reputation.

Why would you be moving out of camera anyway? If the camera, is as close as you say to your face, it should be next to impossible to move out of view.

Online Pearson VUE Revoked My PMP Exam 2 months 1 day ago #28710

• Chris
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
"Why would you be moving out of camera anyway? If the camera, is as close as you say to your face, it should be next to impossible to move out of view."

Ummm that doesn't make sense at all. If your face is closer to the camera, a movement of a couple inches could put you off screen, whereas if you are sitting a few feet away, it would take very large movements of probably several feet to move off camera.

Online Pearson VUE Revoked My PMP Exam 1 month 1 week ago #28826

• Katarzyna Mendez
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a very similar experience here.

I was scheduled to take the exam last Tuesday, December 14th, 2021 from my home.. When the exam started the Pearson VUE proctor talked to me through the online portal and told me the ground rules. I started the exam after 10 questions they told me to stop whispering the questions or mumbling which I didn't do. I am 48 year old and I can control my behavior. I always follow rules and procedures. I answered another 5 questions and got a pop out on the screen they they revoked the exam because I was mumbling. It was extremely unethical. The provided me with a case number for a few seconds and I didn't even had time to marked it down when the screen disappeared.

I have never cheated on an exam and this experience was by far the worst test taking experience of my life.

Two days after reporting the case to PMI, PMI told me that they contacted Pearson VUE and they told them that I was mumbling. I requested recording and I haven't received a respond yet. We pay money to take the exam and we want to be treated right.

WARNING FOR FUTURE CANDIDATE: do NOT take the exam from your home.

Online Pearson VUE Revoked My PMP Exam 4 days 15 hours ago #28977

• Greg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I had a very similar experience this morning. I have vision problem and was close to the screen to be able to read the questions. The proctor revoked my test. I am shattered. They are asking me to wait for 3-5 business days. How was your issue resolved? were you able to re-take the test and how long did it take to retake the test. Please help.

Online Pearson VUE Revoked My PMP Exam 4 days 13 hours ago #28983

• Brad Pennington, PMP
While I can sympathize with the terrible experiences detailed in this thread, I also understand that there must be a set of standardized methods to prevent cheating on the online exam. Unfortunately, Pearson has to employ these methods to maintain the credibility of the exam and that of all who hold the PMP certification. While sometimes harsh, these methods will likely never change. If the rules are broken even innocently, Pearson has to revoke the exam so as to avoid setting a dangerous precedent for future exam-takers. My recommendation is to take the exam in person at a testing center. Having to wear a mask for 4 hours at a test center is worth avoiding the pain of test revocation. I sat for the exam in August of 2020 during the initial COVID peak. I never would've taken an online exam because I'd heard similar horror stories from other certification programs. During my eight weeks of practice exams, I wore a mask for each one to prepare me for the real experience, and I ended up scoring 5x AT on my first try. The purpose here isn't to brag, but to recommend that you take the exam at a testing center and prepare appropriately, even down to the minute details of mask wear, etc.
Brad Pennington, PMP
PrepCast Community Moderator
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJoe PangJohn Paul BugarinLisa Sweeney PMPHarry ElstonChan RampersaudBrad Pennington, PMPKyle Kilbride, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login