fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: My approach to PMP study

My approach to PMP study 4 years 4 weeks ago #20427

• Vicky Adams
  • Vicky Adams's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Main Resources

~ Prepcast (watched fully and took notes in the PMBOK whilst viewing, thereafter watched multiple episodes again at 1.5 speed). Excellent quality content. Highly recommended
~ PMBOK (read twice, during last week skimmed ITTOs / DFD & start of chapter) - found it quite easy to read and diagrams easy to visualise
~ Rita Exam Prep book (read twice and completd exercises) easy to read, very good for situational understanding)

Lessons Learned

~ Exam application - took a lot of time to complete, also notified managers in advance of the details (good thing as I got selected for random audit)
~ Decide your learning style - for me it was reading and writing
~ Mind maps - I like these! Made notes - 1 ITTO per sheet and added additional notes on mind map / back of sheet with purpose, benefit, main concepts, tailoring, trends & emerging practies etc.
~ Daily learning routine - 2-3 hours per day, more closer to exam. Used any other avialable time (doing household chores, travelling, dog walking) to listen to prepcast, audio books
~ Keep learning through vacation/holidays and uncertain times (my audit application took along time, unsure whether the test centre would be actually still be open)
~ Simulator and Exam Questions (2000+) - very valuable for gauging progress and understanding how questions will be phrased, even when feeling that there was still so much I didn't know.

Overall: it was a long learning journey but I am very glad I embarked on it. Also, I will be dedicating more time to learning and self-development going forward.

My approach to PMP study 4 years 3 weeks ago #20453

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Thanks to sharing your experience, Vicky!
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login