fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed my PMP Exam on my First Attempt

Passed my PMP Exam on my First Attempt 4 years 5 months ago #19140

• Amy Mohlenhoff
  • Amy Mohlenhoff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi All,
I wanted to share that I passed my PMP Exam on the first attempt on 11.20.19.
AT/AT/T/AT/T

Time spent in focused study once my application was approved mid September 2019: 2 Months.

What worked for me:
Books:
PMBOK (read through it twice)
The PMP Exam: How to Pass On Your First Try - 6th Ed (Andy Crowe)
The CAPM/PMP All-in-One Book - 4th Edition (Joseph Phillips)

Additional Resources:
PMP Cram Session - (Joseph Phillips) Did this 15 days prior to the exam
PrepCast Four-hour simulation tests: (I did 4 of them 3 weeks before the exam)
Results: 69%, 71%, 75%, 69%
With the last simulated exam I realized that I needed to rethink my practice/study so I started doing just the quizzes and reviewing the questions I got wrong.

I spent the final two weeks prior to my test taking 4-5 mini quizzes (20 questions) a day in all Process Groups, and reviewing the PMBOK Glossary
I practiced writing out my brain dump a couple of times a day and then the morning of the test.
I went over the Knowledge Areas and Process Groups and got a good grasp on the ITTOs (did not memorize the ITTOs)

The night before the exam, I took a couple of 20 question quizzes on an PMP Study App I had downloaded and got a good nights sleep.
During the exam I spent the first 12 minutes writing out my brain dump. Formulas, Processes/Process Groups/Knowledge Areas, etc.
As I went through the exam, questions that I flagged I wrote down the number and a brief note about it , just in case it was referenced in another question and then did a final review at the end of the test. I ended up going with my first choice answer for each one.
I had 4 or 5 EVM questions and a couple Critical Path/Float questions.
I ended up with 30 minutes left over and was never so thrilled as I was when I received the Congratulations screen!

I hope my experience gives you some tips for success, and I wish you all all the best as you work toward your certification.

Amy Mohlenhoff, PMP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yue Zhao
Last edit: by Amy Mohlenhoff. Reason: I wanted to add the time I spent in focused study after having my PMI Application approved.

Passed my PMP Exam on my First Attempt 4 years 5 months ago #19164

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Well done, Amy!
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login