fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP on first attempt - how I prepared

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP on first attempt - how I prepared

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 10 months ago #17705

Michele Pelham

I learn best from repetition, so I thought I'd share how I prepared for the PMP exam.
I went through the videos in the PrepCast chapter by chapter. After each chapter, I would read the corresponding chapter in the PMBOK guide and highlight what I felt was important.
After the videos and going through the PMBOK guide, I wrote out the pieces of the book that I highlighted, and then typed them out as well.
I took 6 of the simulator exams starting about 3 weeks prior to my exam date, and went through the questions and took notes based on what I got wrong, and some notes on what I got correct if I guessed.
I didn't get great scores on the simulator exams, but the answers were explained in detail and I got the hang of the way the questions were worded, how to eliminate and make the best decision for the exam.
This may seem excessive to some, but I ended up with lots of notes to review over and over, and was able to remember most of it for the exam.
When I sat for the exam, I took about 7 1/2 minutes to write my formula notes on the scratch paper and got through the questions in 2 1/2 hours, taking a minute or less for each questions, marking about 3/4 of them. Then I went through them again and had less than 10 minutes to spare. I got Above Target on all sections.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login