fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP on first attempt - how I prepared

Passed PMP on first attempt - how I prepared 4 years 10 months ago #17705

• Michele Pelham
  • Michele Pelham's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I learn best from repetition, so I thought I'd share how I prepared for the PMP exam.
I went through the videos in the PrepCast chapter by chapter. After each chapter, I would read the corresponding chapter in the PMBOK guide and highlight what I felt was important.
After the videos and going through the PMBOK guide, I wrote out the pieces of the book that I highlighted, and then typed them out as well.
I took 6 of the simulator exams starting about 3 weeks prior to my exam date, and went through the questions and took notes based on what I got wrong, and some notes on what I got correct if I guessed.
I didn't get great scores on the simulator exams, but the answers were explained in detail and I got the hang of the way the questions were worded, how to eliminate and make the best decision for the exam.
This may seem excessive to some, but I ended up with lots of notes to review over and over, and was able to remember most of it for the exam.
When I sat for the exam, I took about 7 1/2 minutes to write my formula notes on the scratch paper and got through the questions in 2 1/2 hours, taking a minute or less for each questions, marking about 3/4 of them. Then I went through them again and had less than 10 minutes to spare. I got Above Target on all sections.
Last edit: by Michele Pelham.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login