fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP today First try!! Lessons learned

Passed PMP today First try!! Lessons learned 6 years 2 months ago #13073

• Ryan Dangerfield
  • Ryan Dangerfield's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all,

I passed my PMP today with Above Target in all domains. Hopefully I can offer some advice which will help!

I started down the Exam road about 4 months ago, realizing that the PMBOK 6 would be creeping up soon.

I used several resources:
PMBOK guide
Rita's book (stopped reading thoroughly after a couple of chapters)
Andy Crowe: How to pass on your first try
Andy Crowe: Conversations on the PMP
Joseph Philips Udemy course (already had my contact hours from Internal company training but managed to get this badboy for $10 on sale - highly recommend)
PMP Prepcast exam simulator.

I guess my prep was a little bit special in that I first built a "memory palace" to memorize all the 47 processes across the knowledge areas/domains - this served as a "spiderweb"to catch pieces of knowledge. I then listened to the Andy crow series and started on Rita's book. To be honest I found Rita's book a bit of an overkill based on the exam outline so I just pick out bits and pieces which I thought needed more explanation based on the domain breakdown and exam outline from PMI.

The most important thing is to understand the process flows and how they interact between domains - a great example of what I mean by this is in Praizion's Youtube video giving an overview of the integrated change process in respect of deliverable's. I would say the PM Prepcast exam simulator is the best resource to instill confidence. I would do an exam, look at my week areas and then work on those areas from Andy Crowe's book mostly or Joseph Philips videos. Even the exams I marked in the simulator and got right, I reviewed to check my thinking process was correct.

incidentally my Exam simulator results (7 done in total)

PMP Exam 1 69%
PMP Exam 2 81%
PMP Exam 3 77.5%
PMP Exam 4 75.5%
PMP Exam 5 82%
PMP Exam 6 83%
PMP Exam 7 81%

The actual exam took me about 3 hours, I didn't take a break and went through everything I marked in about another 15 minutes. Its not as bad as you think! (I was very nervous but after the first few questions I was in the zone)

Good luck to everyone planning to become PMP. You can do it!

cheers

Ryan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tanushree Sarkar

Passed PMP today First try!! Lessons learned 6 years 2 months ago #13084

• Ty Weston, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Fantastic, glad to hear it.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login