fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP today First try!! Lessons learned

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP today First try!! Lessons learned

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 1 month ago #13084

Ty Weston, PMP

Fantastic, glad to hear it.
6 years 1 month ago #13073

Ryan Dangerfield

Hi all,

I passed my PMP today with Above Target in all domains. Hopefully I can offer some advice which will help!

I started down the Exam road about 4 months ago, realizing that the PMBOK 6 would be creeping up soon.

I used several resources:
PMBOK guide
Rita's book (stopped reading thoroughly after a couple of chapters)
Andy Crowe: How to pass on your first try
Andy Crowe: Conversations on the PMP
Joseph Philips Udemy course (already had my contact hours from Internal company training but managed to get this badboy for $10 on sale - highly recommend)
PMP Prepcast exam simulator.

I guess my prep was a little bit special in that I first built a "memory palace" to memorize all the 47 processes across the knowledge areas/domains - this served as a "spiderweb"to catch pieces of knowledge. I then listened to the Andy crow series and started on Rita's book. To be honest I found Rita's book a bit of an overkill based on the exam outline so I just pick out bits and pieces which I thought needed more explanation based on the domain breakdown and exam outline from PMI.

The most important thing is to understand the process flows and how they interact between domains - a great example of what I mean by this is in Praizion's Youtube video giving an overview of the integrated change process in respect of deliverable's. I would say the PM Prepcast exam simulator is the best resource to instill confidence. I would do an exam, look at my week areas and then work on those areas from Andy Crowe's book mostly or Joseph Philips videos. Even the exams I marked in the simulator and got right, I reviewed to check my thinking process was correct.

incidentally my Exam simulator results (7 done in total)

PMP Exam 1 69%
PMP Exam 2 81%
PMP Exam 3 77.5%
PMP Exam 4 75.5%
PMP Exam 5 82%
PMP Exam 6 83%
PMP Exam 7 81%

The actual exam took me about 3 hours, I didn't take a break and went through everything I marked in about another 15 minutes. Its not as bad as you think! (I was very nervous but after the first few questions I was in the zone)

Good luck to everyone planning to become PMP. You can do it!

cheers

Ryan.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login