fbpx

Reply: PMP Success!

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : PMP Success!

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
6 years 5 months ago #12477

Jada Garrett

Hi Michele. You are definitely in need of a congrats. There is no way I would have been able to pass the exam without all of the study methods that you mentioned. Even with the studying I finished the exam with about 3 minutes to spare. You passing, gives a true testament to how good PrepCast really is and how well it prepares one for the exam.
My nerves were so bad during the exam that I didn't remember the security check - pant legs and sleeves being pulled up, my glasses being checked, etc. - until you just mentioned it.

Congrats again Michele. Thanks for sharing your path to success.
6 years 5 months ago #12458

Michele McInnes

's Avatar

I successfully passed my PMP exam today with the help of the prepcast! I did NOT practice the best study methods as most people recommend (study 3 months, read PMBOk 'x' number of times, take multiple full length mock exams, etc.). It isn't that I didn't want to do those things, but I just didn't have enough time to devote. While I don't recommend doing it this way, I hope that my success will ease someone else's anxiety who is in the same boat. My eligibility window was going to end on 12/5/17 so I went ahead and scheduled my exam for the latest slot I could find before that date. Today (11/22/17) was that date, giving me less than one month to prepare. I started searching the Internet for information on passing the PMP in a short timeframe and found positive reviews for the prepcast as well as Rita's book. I ordered both quickly and was quickly overwhelmed with the amount of material and my poor scores on the initial self assessment.

My approach was to methodically listen/watch all the content prepcasts (saving 4. Integration for the end as suggested). After finishing each complete module, I read Rita's corresponding Chapter and the PMBOK chapter. I quickly found that I wouldn't have enough time to cover all the material this way in my allotted time and I didn't really like Rita's book (sorry to any fans out there). I instead relied almost solely on the prepcast and the assessments (also doing the sample quizes in Rita's book). My scores were never very high but I felt like I was learning and understanding the content. I devoted about 3-4 hours a day to study during the work week, and over the course of 3 weekends I studied about 15 hours per day.

I finished my last module on Saturday and took one of the free PMP simulator exams. I failed (73%) and was very discouraged. I reviewed all the answers carefully and waited until Sunday to take my next simulated exam. I failed that one as well (70%). I wasn't sure how I was going to get through the exam. I rewatched a few videos in areas I did poorly and re-read parts of the PMBOK. Monday and Tuesday evening I spent reviewing definitions, formulas and practicing my brain dump.

My exam was scheduled for 1:00 p.m. I took the day off work, slept late (had many bad dreams that I attribute to nerves) and tried to relax. I did not look at any study materials today at all because I thought it would increase my anxiety. Given my 2 fail scores on the free simulator, I was not expecting to pass even though I felt like I had a good grasp of all the material. I arrived at the exam center an hour early and after locking up my belongings and using the restroom, I was led through security. I was a little surprised at the vigilance of security. Even after going through a medal detector I had to pull up my pants and sleeves and turn my pockets out. My glasses were examined as well. I was given a booklet containing 4 blank pages and 2 pencils and specifically told that I was not allowed to write anything down during the tutorial (no pre-exam brain dump). So, I spent about the first 10 minutes of my exam writing out my brain dump. I didn't find the time to be an issue. Even with the brain dump and one bathroom break, I finished the exam in about 3 1/2 hours. I felt confident once I started answering questions and wasn't surprised to see the 'Congratulations ' message at the end of the survey after the exam (but I was immensely relieved)! Not only did I pass, but I was above target in all domains (process groups)! Thank you Cornelius!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login