fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: PMP Success!

PMP Success! 6 years 5 months ago #12458

• Michele McInnes
  • Michele McInnes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I successfully passed my PMP exam today with the help of the prepcast! I did NOT practice the best study methods as most people recommend (study 3 months, read PMBOk 'x' number of times, take multiple full length mock exams, etc.). It isn't that I didn't want to do those things, but I just didn't have enough time to devote. While I don't recommend doing it this way, I hope that my success will ease someone else's anxiety who is in the same boat. My eligibility window was going to end on 12/5/17 so I went ahead and scheduled my exam for the latest slot I could find before that date. Today (11/22/17) was that date, giving me less than one month to prepare. I started searching the Internet for information on passing the PMP in a short timeframe and found positive reviews for the prepcast as well as Rita's book. I ordered both quickly and was quickly overwhelmed with the amount of material and my poor scores on the initial self assessment.

My approach was to methodically listen/watch all the content prepcasts (saving 4. Integration for the end as suggested). After finishing each complete module, I read Rita's corresponding Chapter and the PMBOK chapter. I quickly found that I wouldn't have enough time to cover all the material this way in my allotted time and I didn't really like Rita's book (sorry to any fans out there). I instead relied almost solely on the prepcast and the assessments (also doing the sample quizes in Rita's book). My scores were never very high but I felt like I was learning and understanding the content. I devoted about 3-4 hours a day to study during the work week, and over the course of 3 weekends I studied about 15 hours per day.

I finished my last module on Saturday and took one of the free PMP simulator exams. I failed (73%) and was very discouraged. I reviewed all the answers carefully and waited until Sunday to take my next simulated exam. I failed that one as well (70%). I wasn't sure how I was going to get through the exam. I rewatched a few videos in areas I did poorly and re-read parts of the PMBOK. Monday and Tuesday evening I spent reviewing definitions, formulas and practicing my brain dump.

My exam was scheduled for 1:00 p.m. I took the day off work, slept late (had many bad dreams that I attribute to nerves) and tried to relax. I did not look at any study materials today at all because I thought it would increase my anxiety. Given my 2 fail scores on the free simulator, I was not expecting to pass even though I felt like I had a good grasp of all the material. I arrived at the exam center an hour early and after locking up my belongings and using the restroom, I was led through security. I was a little surprised at the vigilance of security. Even after going through a medal detector I had to pull up my pants and sleeves and turn my pockets out. My glasses were examined as well. I was given a booklet containing 4 blank pages and 2 pencils and specifically told that I was not allowed to write anything down during the tutorial (no pre-exam brain dump). So, I spent about the first 10 minutes of my exam writing out my brain dump. I didn't find the time to be an issue. Even with the brain dump and one bathroom break, I finished the exam in about 3 1/2 hours. I felt confident once I started answering questions and wasn't surprised to see the 'Congratulations ' message at the end of the survey after the exam (but I was immensely relieved)! Not only did I pass, but I was above target in all domains (process groups)! Thank you Cornelius!

PMP Success! 6 years 5 months ago #12477

• Jada Garrett
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Michele. You are definitely in need of a congrats. There is no way I would have been able to pass the exam without all of the study methods that you mentioned. Even with the studying I finished the exam with about 3 minutes to spare. You passing, gives a true testament to how good PrepCast really is and how well it prepares one for the exam.
My nerves were so bad during the exam that I didn't remember the security check - pant legs and sleeves being pulled up, my glasses being checked, etc. - until you just mentioned it.

Congrats again Michele. Thanks for sharing your path to success.
Jada Garrett, PMP
Community Moderator
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login