fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP exam, 1st attempt on 2/17/2017

Passed PMP exam, 1st attempt on 2/17/2017 7 years 1 month ago #9864

• Tonja Morgan
  • Tonja Morgan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Technically, my studies were over a few years since I have taken some college level project management related courses. My focused studying really was about 6-8 weeks. Oddly, I studied hard for several weeks and scheduled my date about 3 months out and was planning to study more over a holiday, but I couldn't since I got sick. I considered changing my exam date but decided to keep it. After that, I didn't study for 45 days and decided I probably should do a little studying the week of my exam date. It wasn't like cram studying but more of checking a couple of items.

Initially for my focused studies, I read PMBOK. I did a little bit of highlighting and wrote terms in the margin. and then I began the PMPrepCast. The videos were key for my success. They were a great audio and visual explanation of PMBOK and beyond. I think it was helpful to first read PMBOK and then listen to the videos because it allowed me to focus in on areas that I lacked project experience in or may have just skimmed when reading PMBOK. I liked the PMPrepCast videos over a bootcamp concept because I could go back and listen to specific topics when needed. I did this a few times after missing several questions on a topic. The expert interviews at the end also provided some great real life applications of skills and tools that I already have incorporated into my professional work.

After listening to the PMPrepCast videos, I worked all of the questions in the Christopher Scordo book, PMP Exam Prep Questions, Answers and Explanations. It has over 1000 questions. I checked EVERY answer. I wanted to make sure even those that I got correct that I understood why I got it correct. There was also useful information in the explanations that helped me fill in some gaps in my knowledge. I also used the phone app "PMP Exam Mentor" when I would be out places like in the waiting room at doctor appointments. The other big thing I did that I think really helped me early on is that I took the famous PMBOK 3.1 chart (pg. 61, 5th edition) and laminated it with a blank template on the opposite side. Daily I would fill in the template with a dry erase marker, some days several times. I needed a way to practice physically writing the chart multiple times without wasting paper. I also can recommend the LinkedIn group, "I want to be a PMP". It was one of the ways I learned about PMPrepCast and many other tips. I did about 300 questions in the Rita software (since my employer purchased it for me) and I also skimmed Oliver Lehmann's 175 questions pdf online. There were so many people talking about it that I felt I had to give the questions a try and I'm glad I did.

I didn't study to do a brain dump and when I tried to do one during the exam, I froze. I felt I knew the process table well enough and understood the formulas that I didn't need to actually do a brain dump. I just needed to focus on my project experience, PMBOK and what I learned from the PMPrepCast, so I moved on with the exam. Going through the exam I marked about 20 questions for review - most questions that were related to earned value, required a calculation, several questions I wanted to look at again and a few that I just skipped. I had 45 minutes at the end to review these questions. I only changed 1 answer on the questions I had already answered and marked for review. I submitted the exam with 11 minutes remaining.

Passed PMP exam, 1st attempt on 2/17/2017 7 years 1 month ago #9889

• Venkata Surya Sagi
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Congratulations!!
Thanks for your feedback. Looking forward to use some these tips in my preparation.

Regards,
Venkata
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login