fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP - Things worked for me to pass in first attempt

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP - Things worked for me to pass in first attempt

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 3 months ago #9461

Steven McClaugherty

Pintu,
Congratulations on passing and sharing your Lessons Learned. One thing I realized from what you have shared is that I have not utilized the Time Management quizzes very well at all since having the service for a month now. I have many taken just 6 (10 question) timed quizzes. Starting today, I am going to add into my roadmap to make sure I am doing Timed quizzes everyday across each knowledge areas.

Thanks!
7 years 3 months ago #9446

Mark Wuenscher, PMP

Pintu,

Congratulations for achieving your long time goal of becoming a PMP! Thank you for sharing your experience and lessons learned on the forum. I think your preparation time of 150 hours is not unusual. I spent 200+ hours in preparation for the exam. Enjoy the accomplishment and best of luck to you in your endeavors as a certified project manager.

Cheers,

Mark
7 years 3 months ago #9440

Pintu Adak

Hi All,
Brief introduction for myself before sharing my experience:
I started my career as a software developer - 14 years ago. Last 7-8 years, I have been working as a Project Delivery Manager in Software development, maintenance project in Banking and Capital market domain. To be a PMP certified project manager - was a long aspired goal of mine.
Finally managed to got myself motivated enough to spent time on the required studies.

Following are the things I did, which helped me to pass the exam in first attempt:
Materials used:
1. PMBOK Guide 2. PMI Documents (Code of Ethics, Exam Outline)
3. PMPrepCast 4. PM Exam Formulas 5. PM Exam Simulator
6. Few sites/wikipedia - mostly suggested in PrepCast or exam simulator review.
(No other book/material. I must say, enrolling to PMPrepCast, is one of the best decision I made while preparing)

Preparation Time:
1. Studying PMBOK Guide - 40 Hrs
(3 rounds: 10 Hrs + 20 Hrs + 10 Hrs)
2. Watching PrepCast Videos - 50 Hrs
(Once for most; few important onces or rather say, topics with complexity - watched twice)
3. Exam Simulator - Time Mgmt quiz - 10 Hrs
(40 Qs for each Knowledge area & review)
4. Exam Simulator - 8 Full 4 hrs exam - 40 Hrs
(200 Qs & review; passed 7 of them)
5. Reconciliation of ideas presentated in PMBOK, Prepcast - 10 Hrs

So I spent a total of around 150 Hrs preparation time.
This may be a bit in higher side; but giving first 3 Full exam, I could spot few areas of weakness.
I decided to do thorough review of few topics. Before exam, I could manage time for 8 full exams.

Study Order:
PMBOK 1st Round
-> PrepCast PreCourse Assessment + PMPrepCast Videos + Self Assessment (chapter review, 15 Qs)
-> PMBOK 2nd Round + Exam Simulator - TimeMgmt Quiz (Each Knowledge area)
-> PMBOK 3rd Round + PM Exam Formulas + PMI Documents (Code of Ethics, Exam Outline)
-> Exam Simulator - Full Exams + Reconciliation of understandings

Thanks for reading.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login