fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP - Things worked for me to pass in first attempt

Passed PMP - Things worked for me to pass in first attempt 7 years 3 months ago #9440

• Pintu Adak
  • Pintu Adak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi All,
Brief introduction for myself before sharing my experience:
I started my career as a software developer - 14 years ago. Last 7-8 years, I have been working as a Project Delivery Manager in Software development, maintenance project in Banking and Capital market domain. To be a PMP certified project manager - was a long aspired goal of mine.
Finally managed to got myself motivated enough to spent time on the required studies.

Following are the things I did, which helped me to pass the exam in first attempt:
Materials used:
1. PMBOK Guide 2. PMI Documents (Code of Ethics, Exam Outline)
3. PMPrepCast 4. PM Exam Formulas 5. PM Exam Simulator
6. Few sites/wikipedia - mostly suggested in PrepCast or exam simulator review.
(No other book/material. I must say, enrolling to PMPrepCast, is one of the best decision I made while preparing)

Preparation Time:
1. Studying PMBOK Guide - 40 Hrs
(3 rounds: 10 Hrs + 20 Hrs + 10 Hrs)
2. Watching PrepCast Videos - 50 Hrs
(Once for most; few important onces or rather say, topics with complexity - watched twice)
3. Exam Simulator - Time Mgmt quiz - 10 Hrs
(40 Qs for each Knowledge area & review)
4. Exam Simulator - 8 Full 4 hrs exam - 40 Hrs
(200 Qs & review; passed 7 of them)
5. Reconciliation of ideas presentated in PMBOK, Prepcast - 10 Hrs

So I spent a total of around 150 Hrs preparation time.
This may be a bit in higher side; but giving first 3 Full exam, I could spot few areas of weakness.
I decided to do thorough review of few topics. Before exam, I could manage time for 8 full exams.

Study Order:
PMBOK 1st Round
-> PrepCast PreCourse Assessment + PMPrepCast Videos + Self Assessment (chapter review, 15 Qs)
-> PMBOK 2nd Round + Exam Simulator - TimeMgmt Quiz (Each Knowledge area)
-> PMBOK 3rd Round + PM Exam Formulas + PMI Documents (Code of Ethics, Exam Outline)
-> Exam Simulator - Full Exams + Reconciliation of understandings

Thanks for reading.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Wuenscher, PMP, Steven McClaugherty

Passed PMP - Things worked for me to pass in first attempt 7 years 3 months ago #9446

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Pintu,

Congratulations for achieving your long time goal of becoming a PMP! Thank you for sharing your experience and lessons learned on the forum. I think your preparation time of 150 hours is not unusual. I spent 200+ hours in preparation for the exam. Enjoy the accomplishment and best of luck to you in your endeavors as a certified project manager.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator

Passed PMP - Things worked for me to pass in first attempt 7 years 3 months ago #9461

• Steven McClaugherty
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
  • Thank you received: 4
Pintu,
Congratulations on passing and sharing your Lessons Learned. One thing I realized from what you have shared is that I have not utilized the Time Management quizzes very well at all since having the service for a month now. I have many taken just 6 (10 question) timed quizzes. Starting today, I am going to add into my roadmap to make sure I am doing Timed quizzes everyday across each knowledge areas.

Thanks!
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login