fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: 1st ATTEMPT SUCCESS!

1st ATTEMPT SUCCESS! 7 years 7 months ago #8340

• Allison Barentine
  • Allison Barentine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
#1 - Thank you so much to the PM PrepCast team & Mr. Fichtner!! This podcast truly was the ideal tool for me as I work full-time and have 2 kiddos at home which both require a good amount of attention. Being able to listen to the podcast during my daily commutes was so very helpful! Good luck to all those out there preparing for the exam, I know it seems very overwhelming right now but it's worth it once you receive that passing result!
HOW I PREPARED FOR THE EXAM[/u]: (total time preparing – 2-3 hours per day, 4-5 days a week, for 3 months)
- Purchased the PMBOK and reviewed the main points to get a good idea of the information layout & the methodology
- Purchased the PM PrepCast & listened to the podcasts during commutes, lunch breaks, really any time I had to myself
- Created my own notes in the form of outlines (one outline per knowledge area) – I learn better when I write what I’ve read rather than re-reading so this may only work for learners like me
- Read Andy Crowe's "The PMP Exam - How to Pass on Your First Try" (this was a good book, but served more as a summary of everything learned in the podcast)
- Printed out numerous practice exams - took each one without referencing any notes and then went back after to find out what areas I needed to focus on more
- Took numerous Simulated Practice Exams to get comfortable with the time limit and formatting of questions (TIP: Do not wait too long to start utilizing the exam simulators like I did, they are a GREAT preparation tool for the exam)
THE EXAM:
- I took the exam 1st thing on a Monday morning to make sure I had a couple of work-free days right before to really prepare
- I first went through all 200 questions - I answered the ones I 100% knew the answer to and ‘marked’ the ones I needed more time to think on. Then I went back to the beginning and went through the ones I was 50/50 on. Last, I finished the hardest ones to ensure I did not run out of time without answering as many of the ones I was more confident in first.
- The exam is very TRICKY in my opinion! There were several questions in which two of the answer options could easily be correct. Pay attention to the KEY WORDS in questions like this. They will most likely point you towards the right choice.
- It is stated in almost any book you read to prepare for this test & its true – DO NOT DEPEND ON YOUR PERSONAL PM EXPERIENCE TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS! Put what you already know from experience behind you and focus on the PMBOK methodology.
MY TWO CENTS:
- Learn Integration Management last – it will make SO MUCH MORE SENSE after learning the other knowledge areas.
- Don’t spend time trying to memorize. My experience w/the exam was that the vast majority of questions require understanding of the process groups / knowledge areas in order to be able to choose the correct answer. Especially the ITTO’s – if you understand the processes, it’s fairly clear which ones would be applicable.
- Brain Dump: I may be the only person who will say that this was not beneficial for me. I wrote very few things down prior to the exam and maybe referenced it 3-4 times. I would not spend a ton of time memorizing material for this. If you understand the formulas it’s not hard to remember them, or at least know how to logically arrive at the answer. I also had reviewed the 47 processes so many times that writing them all down (and possibly making an error) would have just confused me.
BOTTOM LINE – I believe that practice makes perfect. Once you feel as if you have a good understanding of the material, just practice taking as many exams as you can. It’s the best way to know where you need to focus your further studying. I probably spent too much time studying in the beginning and not enough applying what I was learning w/the practice tests so I could truly zone in on the harder concepts.
Good luck to all of you preparing for the exam!

1st ATTEMPT SUCCESS! 7 years 7 months ago #8342

• Hazem Ibrahim
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Congratulation , please how you find the real exam comparing with PrepCast simulator? I mean the exam is easier, similar, or more difficult?

1st ATTEMPT SUCCESS! 7 years 7 months ago #8354

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Allison,

Congrats on passing the PMP exam! We really appreciate you taking the time to post your lessons learned and exam experience.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator

1st ATTEMPT SUCCESS! 7 years 7 months ago #8355

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Hazem,

I personally found the real exam to be generally more difficult than the PM Exam Simulator exams. However, the practice exams were absolutely critical to my success. I could not have passed without them. I found the situational questions on the actual exam very tricky as Allison said. Two answers that could both be correct and tough to determine which is the BEST answer or NEXT step for the project manager. I am confident that if you work hard and use the tools that Cornelius and his team have developed you will be successful in passing the exam.

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hazem Ibrahim

1st ATTEMPT SUCCESS! 7 years 7 months ago #8375

• Darveen
  • Darveen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
HI I read about your notes and I would like to have your help in order to help to obtain this certification.

1st ATTEMPT SUCCESS! 7 years 7 months ago #8379

• ALLISON BARENTINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hazel,
Just as Mark did, I found the real exam to be more difficult than the simulator. However, the types of questions and format are very similar. I think the main difference is that the actual exam has answer choices that are more similar to each other, which will require more deductive reasoning.
As long as you take a little extra time to re-read the questions, you will see many times that it is simply the way the question is worded & that will help the answer become more clear. Bottom line is to relax and don't let the time limit cause you to hurry through. I'm sure you'll do great!!
Best of luck,
Allison

1st ATTEMPT SUCCESS! 7 years 7 months ago #8381

• ALLISON BARENTINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks so much Mark!
Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Wuenscher, PMP

1st ATTEMPT SUCCESS! 7 years 7 months ago #8382

• ALLISON BARENTINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'd be happy to help Darveen - what specifically are you needing the most help with?
Allison
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login