fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Lessons learnt from PASSING PMP

Lessons learnt from PASSING PMP 9 years 5 months ago #4736

• Xavier Miro Bruix
  • Xavier Miro Bruix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Today I passed the PMP Certification. I definitely think I have spent more time than the average person studying it. But at least, I got a Proficient (performance above the average level of knowledge) in all the process groups :D. My advice is that you should take the exam when you feel you are ready. This doesn't mean that you need to score 100% in the tests (I scored between 80 and 85% in my simulation tests).

Please buy Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep book. It is worth having a paper copy of it. I went once through the book without doing any of the questions at the end of the chapters and in the second iteration, I did all the questions in the book. Only after I did that I started looking at the PMBOK.

So here is the difference: Rita's book is to get you used to what is coming in the PMBOK, the Vaseline. I strongly recommend you to study the PMBOK. It is a bit scary and you will be overwhelmed with all the ITTO (input, tools and techniques, outputs). I will tell you what I did. I learned by heart the ITTO of the following processes:

- Collect Requirements
- Quality Processes: Plan Quality Management, Perform Quality Assurance and Control Quality
- Risk Processes: Plan Risk Management, Identify Risks, Perform Ql Risk Analysis, Perform Qn Risk Analysis, Plan Risk Responses and Control Risks.

For the other processes I knew more or less what was going on inside, but without learning the ITTO by heart, the way that Rita's suggests to do.

And once I got all this done, I started doing online practice tests. I followed the rule I saw online, once you get up to a consistent 80% you will be ready. It was very useful a book I found on the PMI bookshelf, and which has hard questions ( pmi.books24x7.com/toc.aspx?bookid=55550 ). If you are applying for the exam, it makes sense to get a membership to PMI, with which you will have access to that book. Also, I would recommend you take the exam which has 200 hard questions ( www.pmstudy.com/enroll.asp?course=pmp&pplink=simulated-test ).

At the end, I have read thoroughly twice Rita's and twice the PMBOK, plus skim through them once or twice.

Lessons learnt from PASSING PMP 9 years 5 months ago #4748

• Scott Gillard
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Congrats and welcome to team PMP!!
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Miller
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login