fbpx

Reply: Lessons learnt from PASSING PMP

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Lessons learnt from PASSING PMP

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
9 years 4 months ago #4748

Scott Gillard

Congrats and welcome to team PMP!!
9 years 4 months ago #4736

Xavier Miro Bruix

Today I passed the PMP Certification. I definitely think I have spent more time than the average person studying it. But at least, I got a Proficient (performance above the average level of knowledge) in all the process groups :D. My advice is that you should take the exam when you feel you are ready. This doesn't mean that you need to score 100% in the tests (I scored between 80 and 85% in my simulation tests).

Please buy Rita Mulcahy's PMP Exam Prep book. It is worth having a paper copy of it. I went once through the book without doing any of the questions at the end of the chapters and in the second iteration, I did all the questions in the book. Only after I did that I started looking at the PMBOK.

So here is the difference: Rita's book is to get you used to what is coming in the PMBOK, the Vaseline. I strongly recommend you to study the PMBOK. It is a bit scary and you will be overwhelmed with all the ITTO (input, tools and techniques, outputs). I will tell you what I did. I learned by heart the ITTO of the following processes:

- Collect Requirements
- Quality Processes: Plan Quality Management, Perform Quality Assurance and Control Quality
- Risk Processes: Plan Risk Management, Identify Risks, Perform Ql Risk Analysis, Perform Qn Risk Analysis, Plan Risk Responses and Control Risks.

For the other processes I knew more or less what was going on inside, but without learning the ITTO by heart, the way that Rita's suggests to do.

And once I got all this done, I started doing online practice tests. I followed the rule I saw online, once you get up to a consistent 80% you will be ready. It was very useful a book I found on the PMI bookshelf, and which has hard questions ( pmi.books24x7.com/toc.aspx?bookid=55550 ). If you are applying for the exam, it makes sense to get a membership to PMI, with which you will have access to that book. Also, I would recommend you take the exam which has 200 hard questions ( www.pmstudy.com/enroll.asp?course=pmp&pplink=simulated-test ).

At the end, I have read thoroughly twice Rita's and twice the PMBOK, plus skim through them once or twice.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login