fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Success! 4Ps for the PMP

Success! 4Ps for the PMP 9 years 6 months ago #4642

• David Butts
  • David Butts's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Result
PMP Certified (4Ps & 1MP in closing)

Methodology
* Daily studying covering 2 PM PrepCast lessons each day (with active note taking)
* Head First PMP (didn't find as useful but the book did include a sample test)
* PM Exam Simulator (used to find and research areas of weakness)
* Study ITTOs, noting areas of commonality within process groups (e.g. what do control processes have in common)
* Practice quickly filling out knowledge area / process group matrix (for quick reference on test day)

Lessons Learned
* Studying more than 2 lessons per day had diminishing returns/retention/focus
* Studying the ITTO KA Overview figures helped (1) gain big picture view of project execution and (2) identify common themes between related processes
* Practice, practice, practice... it's a test and test taking skills need to be sharpened. What is being asked? What concept tested? Familiarize yourself with common question format to improve pace of comprehension/analysis. Practice test taking time management to avoid running out of time. This was very important to me when I realized I was significantly behind taking the real test. After a slow start I realized I needed to recover time, stayed focused without panicking, and finally finished on schedule.
* I strongly recommend the PM Exam Simulator. Whatever sample exams you use, try to find ones that are computerized and simulate uninterrupted 4 hour testing.
* Read the PMBOK guide after reviewing the PM Prepcast lessons. When referencing the PMBOK guide as part of reviewing practice exam results I realized that I should have spent the time to read the entire guide.
* I tried to imagine how superman would respond to the situational/ethics questions. I wanted to frame these questions as completely black & white to avoid bias that may exist from my own past experiences.

Good luck in your PMP quest.
Last edit: by Yolanda Mabutas.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login