fbpx

Reply: Success! 4Ps for the PMP

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Success! 4Ps for the PMP

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
9 years 6 months ago #4642

David Butts

Result
PMP Certified (4Ps & 1MP in closing)

Methodology
* Daily studying covering 2 PM PrepCast lessons each day (with active note taking)
* Head First PMP (didn't find as useful but the book did include a sample test)
* PM Exam Simulator (used to find and research areas of weakness)
* Study ITTOs, noting areas of commonality within process groups (e.g. what do control processes have in common)
* Practice quickly filling out knowledge area / process group matrix (for quick reference on test day)

Lessons Learned
* Studying more than 2 lessons per day had diminishing returns/retention/focus
* Studying the ITTO KA Overview figures helped (1) gain big picture view of project execution and (2) identify common themes between related processes
* Practice, practice, practice... it's a test and test taking skills need to be sharpened. What is being asked? What concept tested? Familiarize yourself with common question format to improve pace of comprehension/analysis. Practice test taking time management to avoid running out of time. This was very important to me when I realized I was significantly behind taking the real test. After a slow start I realized I needed to recover time, stayed focused without panicking, and finally finished on schedule.
* I strongly recommend the PM Exam Simulator. Whatever sample exams you use, try to find ones that are computerized and simulate uninterrupted 4 hour testing.
* Read the PMBOK guide after reviewing the PM Prepcast lessons. When referencing the PMBOK guide as part of reviewing practice exam results I realized that I should have spent the time to read the entire guide.
* I tried to imagine how superman would respond to the situational/ethics questions. I wanted to frame these questions as completely black & white to avoid bias that may exist from my own past experiences.

Good luck in your PMP quest.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login