fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: PMP Passed on 2nd try !!! 4th Edition !!!

PMP Passed on 2nd try !!! 4th Edition !!! 10 years 8 months ago #3662

• Paul Govia
  • Paul Govia's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All, I just wanted to let you know that I finally passed 4th edition within a few days of it changing to version 5.

Studying started in March (every free time possible). It does help to take a break and do something outside of studying - to break the monotony.

1. PMBOK Vol. 4
2. PM PrepCast - Webinars
3. PM Study Prep - Rita Mulcahy
4. PMP Exam Prep Questions, Answers, & Explanations: 1000+ PMP Practice Questions with Detailed Solutions (note: this book had grammatical errors but did give detail explanations).

I studied Rita's book simultaneously with PMBOK (note: this book is dry reading but a fellow PMP colleague did mention that you must get beyond that for the "juice"). PMBOK contains information that was not covered elsewhere but did appear in tests (simulation/actual). On my drive in to work (about an hour each way), I listened (and re-listened) to the PM PrepCast topics. I also took a number of simulation tests - definitely helps when you pressure yourself by timing your tests. Time creeps away from you during the exams - figure 1.2 minutes per question !!!! Some questions you will breeze through, others can be time consuming.

I took my first test on May 20 but the week before, I dropped/broke my phone (no prepcast), wife got cut/stitches and found out my mom had cancer and was scheduled for surgery the day after the test. On hindsight, I should have rescheduled. The test result did tell me that I was not as proficient within the Executing / Monitor & Controlling sections.

I rescheduled for the end of July and picked up the books once again. This round of studying, I concentrated on knowing ITTO's (not memorizing but knowing the flows) - for me this was critical and definitely helped. If you think that memorization helps you then so be it, but do familiarize yourself with them.

Note: - The day before, I took a drive to the Prometric center - didn't need any surprises the day of the test.
- On taking both tests I took the full 4 hours and did not take any breaks - so going to the bathroom prior was critical.
- I was always comfortable with the formulas so those weren't an issue for me - but it does help to know when to use them.
- I took as many sample tests that I could and any that were wrong, I made sure that I knew why.

Lastly, it truly is a relief to see the test results and seeing that I passed - but those few minutes of waiting are pure torture.

Good Luck All !!!!
Last edit: by Yolanda Mabutas.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login