fbpx

Reply: PMP Passed on 2nd try !!! 4th Edition !!!

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : PMP Passed on 2nd try !!! 4th Edition !!!

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
10 years 8 months ago #3662

Paul Govia

Hi All, I just wanted to let you know that I finally passed 4th edition within a few days of it changing to version 5.

Studying started in March (every free time possible). It does help to take a break and do something outside of studying - to break the monotony.

1. PMBOK Vol. 4
2. PM PrepCast - Webinars
3. PM Study Prep - Rita Mulcahy
4. PMP Exam Prep Questions, Answers, & Explanations: 1000+ PMP Practice Questions with Detailed Solutions (note: this book had grammatical errors but did give detail explanations).

I studied Rita's book simultaneously with PMBOK (note: this book is dry reading but a fellow PMP colleague did mention that you must get beyond that for the "juice"). PMBOK contains information that was not covered elsewhere but did appear in tests (simulation/actual). On my drive in to work (about an hour each way), I listened (and re-listened) to the PM PrepCast topics. I also took a number of simulation tests - definitely helps when you pressure yourself by timing your tests. Time creeps away from you during the exams - figure 1.2 minutes per question !!!! Some questions you will breeze through, others can be time consuming.

I took my first test on May 20 but the week before, I dropped/broke my phone (no prepcast), wife got cut/stitches and found out my mom had cancer and was scheduled for surgery the day after the test. On hindsight, I should have rescheduled. The test result did tell me that I was not as proficient within the Executing / Monitor & Controlling sections.

I rescheduled for the end of July and picked up the books once again. This round of studying, I concentrated on knowing ITTO's (not memorizing but knowing the flows) - for me this was critical and definitely helped. If you think that memorization helps you then so be it, but do familiarize yourself with them.

Note: - The day before, I took a drive to the Prometric center - didn't need any surprises the day of the test.
- On taking both tests I took the full 4 hours and did not take any breaks - so going to the bathroom prior was critical.
- I was always comfortable with the formulas so those weren't an issue for me - but it does help to know when to use them.
- I took as many sample tests that I could and any that were wrong, I made sure that I knew why.

Lastly, it truly is a relief to see the test results and seeing that I passed - but those few minutes of waiting are pure torture.

Good Luck All !!!!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login