fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Result of PMP exam taken on 3rd Sep (new version)

Result of PMP exam taken on 3rd Sep (new version) 12 years 6 months ago #2542

• Stephanie K
  • Stephanie  K's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I took the PMP exam on the 3rd Sep 2011 and received my examination report yesterday (7 Oct 2011).

My result: FAILED :(

Levels of proficiency:

Initiating the Project: Moderately Proficient
Planning the Project: Moderately Proficient
Executing the Project: Moderately Proficient
Monitoring and Controlling the Project: Proficient
Closing the Project: Moderately Proficient

I have to admit that I was a bit surprised that a mainly average and one above average level of knowledge is not sufficient to pass. Looks like I need to get proficient in the other areas as well.

My preparation:
- A PMBOK-based PM course 8 years ago (35 contact hours)
- PM Prepcast: highly recommended :)
- PMBOK guide: didn't read it from the beginning to the end, but along side watching the PM Prepcast. This way I was able to focus on what was missing in the PM or on subjects that needed a deeper understanding. I have to admit that once I got used to the way the PMBOK was structured, I found it quite useful for the preparation. However, I would not recommend it for getting started with your preparation.
- Head First PMP - went through the entire book once, found it very useful.
- Rita Mulcahy's book: selected sections. Wasn't too keen on the slightly patronising way it's written (however, unfortunately Rita was right as I did fail :-( )
- PM Exam Simulator: very useful, and quite close to the questions you get in the exam

My lessons learned:
- should have allowed myself more time for the preparation and to go through the PM Prepcast and Head First twice (or better 3 times)
- as I was off work during my preparation I was revising for 8 hours or more per day which was too much. Should have allowed my brain more time off to let the revised subject sink in.
- I was running out of time at the end and didn't take many practice exams. Big mistake! Would highly recommend to sit at least for two 200 question exams before taking the real exam.

I know that there are a lot of people out there concerned about the exam changes. Please do not worry! I don't think the fact that I failed was due to the new exam procedures. I really blame it more on my own bad planning. None of the questions in the exam came as a big surprise to me and with a bit more thorough preparation I certainly would have done better. Taking a lot of practice exams also seems to be key. However, I don't see I need to change any of the material I have used for the preparation.

So time to create an improved revision plan…and try to pass on the 2nd try.

Re:Result of PMP exam taken on 3rd Sep (new version) 12 years 6 months ago #2543

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
Stephanie,

I am very sorry to hear that you failed the exam on your first attempt, but I am very happy to read your positive attitude about it. Instead of letting your head hang you analyzed the situation, identified where you need to improve and now you are moving forward.

You are a customer of our PM Exam Simulator and we currently offer the "special deal" that those customers who do not pass the exam between August 31 and October 15 receive an additional 90 days extension in our simulator.

I've already gone ahead and extended your access until February 29, 2012. That should give you enough time to go through the simulator again and pass the exam on your second attempt.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

Re:Result of PMP exam taken on 3rd Sep (new version) 12 years 6 months ago #2544

• Jenny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I wrote the exam at the beginning of August and all are moderately proficient. However, I got passed. I'm surprised that you are not passed but most are moderately proficient. Seems the marking scheme for the new syllabus is tough.

Re:Result of PMP exam taken on 3rd Sep (new version) 12 years 6 months ago #2546

• Stephanie K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
@ Cornelius: Thank you very much for extending my subscription to the Exam Simulator. I was already aware of this "special deal" and was hoping that I won't need it. However, I do appreciate it now and will certainly make full use of it this time around.
From my score report I would guess that I was quite close to a pass. One one hand this of course very disappointing, on the other hand it would be stupid to give up now, in particular since I have already put in so much effort into the revision.

@ Jenny: Congratulations for passing your exam! Well done!
I have to admit that I was surprised when I saw my scores as well as I have never seen a report where one has failed with such scores. I don't want to speculate whether the criteria for pass have changed and scare the other aspirants. In particular if passing the exam is based on the overall score which itself based on psychometric analysis. So all a bit of of a 'grey area' open to a lot of speculations.
It might be good if the PMI rethinks the score report. It is supposed to help people to recognise their weak areas. However, if I look at my report it doesn't tell me much. I guess my goal has to be to become proficient everywhere...

Re:Result of PMP exam taken on 3rd Sep (new version) 12 years 6 months ago #2547

• Jenny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Stephanie

I suggest you dispute with PMI. I heard that when new version launched, it might happen in your case. However, if dispute, PMI may change to pass as long as you provide the valid reasons. I think your result is strong enough to argue with PMI to give you pass. Why not try?

Re:Result of PMP exam taken on 3rd Sep (new version) 12 years 6 months ago #2551

• Amit Jain
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
It really is surprising.

See the link -
www.docstoc.com/docs/32838543/The-Best-K...P-Certification-Exam

The real data shows that 'Moderately Proficient' alone in all the areas was a 'pass' result before....

so it might mean that either the criteria has changed OR there is something wrong and you may want to open a dispute.

Re:Result of PMP exam taken on 3rd Sep (new version) 12 years 6 months ago #2553

• Stephanie K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I saw in other forums that there were a number of more people out there who received similar results and were equally surprised.
As I heard that the PMI had some issues with previous exam change-overs, I decided to double-check with PMI customer support whether I have really failed or at least to point out to them that there exam report does not really make sense anymore.

Last night I received a mail from PMI apologising and telling me that I have now passed my exam. According to this mail "An error in exam processing occurred because exams were originally scored by an erroneous scoring process so that some candidates’ pass/fail result was calculated incorrectly.  Due to this vendor processing error, some candidates received incorrect exam reports. The error has now been corrected."
I still can't get my corrected exam report from the PMI website, even though the mail states that it should be available there. I hope/think this is just a technical glitch.

So this is obviously very good news and I'm very happy that I don't have to repeat the exam!:cheer:

Thank you all for you encouraging words!

Re:Result of PMP exam taken on 3rd Sep (new version) 12 years 6 months ago #2554

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
Stephanie,

We received a similar email from PMI yesterday informing us that this has happened and has already been corrected. So I'm VERY happy to hear that you passed and will not hat to take the exam egain.

Congratulations!
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

Re:Result of PMP exam taken on 3rd Sep (new version) 12 years 6 months ago #2557

• Amit Jain
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Congratulations.

I must say, your attitude after your initial result of 'fail' was quiet commendable and something to learn from.

Re:Result of PMP exam taken on 3rd Sep (new version) 5 years 6 months ago #15378

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Stephanie,

Saw your message and although the time it occurred was quite a while back, I am facing a similar situation here, I got an email from PMI that my results were shown incorrectly and they have now been rectified and I will receive an email with the new report.
Can you tell me how long did it take for you to get the updated results and when did it reflect online?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vikram.
(email address removed by moderator)
Last edit: by Jenikka Ebias.

Re:Result of PMP exam taken on 3rd Sep (new version) 5 years 6 months ago #15385

• Jenikka Ebias
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Vikram,

This forum can be accessed by anyone in the public so have gone ahead and removed your email address in your post. Don't worry though as we have kept it in our system.

To Stephanie,

If you wish to respond to Vikram through his email address outside of this forum, please write to us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. We will personally forward your message to him. Please use the subject title: "Re: Inquiries on PMP Exam Result Error for Vikram"
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login