fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed!

Passed! 3 years 3 months ago #25997

• Advice, including use PrepCast!
  • Advice, including use PrepCast!'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'm not going to lie, the test was REALLY hard and I studied for over 5 months. I did a lot of research on study tools and here is the process I used:

- I went through all of the PrepCast videos, which were terrific and entertaining (for such a dry topic!).
- In parallel, I read the PMBOK Guide.
- Again in parallel, I read David Crowe's PMP Exam -- How to Pass on your First Try. It was a good foundation, with very difficult practice questions (harder than on the test). In my opinion, through, Crowe's book does not have enough info to pass the exam. Not a criticism per se, I just don't think one book will give you everything you need.
- Using the above sources (as well as some other online references, including Edward Chung), I wrote up my own 35-page study guide describing in a fair amount of detail the 49 process groups by knowledge area. I am more than happy to send it to you to use as a basis for your own customized study guide (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).
- I used an INVALUABLE free online tool that I referred to constantly: the PMBOK Process Explorer, www.acethepmpexam.com/ppe/index.html . I found it just by chance and I'm not sure why I haven't read about it anywhere.
- In my fifth (last) month, I started going through exam questions in parallel with reviewing my own study guide. I recommend going through questions a LOT earlier than your last month, I wish I had done it literally from the beginning! Initially I went through the questions as a learning exercise, i.e., answering a question and then reading the answer/explanation immediately afterward. This was a terrific learning tool and I highly recommend this process. Don't get discouraged if you miss a lot of them at first, you are still learning the material and the test format.
- I then started taking some full 200-question practice exams. The PrepCast Exam Simulator is AWESOME with 7 full exams including great explanations. Go through all of them if you can, they are just like the real exam and I couldn't have passed without them. I also used a few other sites with free questions, including LovePMP (1600 questions! - - lovepmp.com/docs/question/pmp-questions ) and Oliver Lehmann ( www.oliverlehmann.com/pmp-self-test/100-...stions.htm#providers ). The PrepCast questions are the best.
- My most important advice: go through AS MANY SAMPLE QUESTIONS AS POSSIBLE and allow yourself time to review ALL of the answers/explanations afterward, whether you got them right or wrong. (Set aside many, many hours to do this, it's a little painful). I can almost guarantee that you will not pass without doing this.
- A few miscellaneous tips...know exactly what's in the Charter, and know all of the activities involved in the Closing process. Also, I don't recommend attempting to memorize all the TTs and IOs. As you take the various practice exams, you will start to recognize which ones are important.

I guess my key advice is going through as many practice questions as you can, early on in your studies. I hope this information helps and best of luck!!
Last edit: by Elizabeth Harrin. Reason: Remove personal email address from subject line

Passed! 3 years 3 months ago #26028

• Elizabeth Harrin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your tips.
---
Elizabeth Harrin

Follow: twitter.com/corneliusficht
Like: www.facebook.com/PrepCast/
Subscribe: www.project-management-podcast.com
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login