fbpx

Reply: Lessons Learned

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Lessons Learned

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 5 months ago #24154

Yolanda Mabutas

Congratulations, Chris!

Thank you for sharing your PMP journey.
3 years 5 months ago #24145

Chris Williams

's Avatar

To say my journey was interesting is an understatement. I started the process to get my PMP early in 2019. I submitted all my paperwork and was one of the lucky that end up getting audited. This process while not difficult was long. After I was approved to sit for the test I started my prep. I started by using a prep book. It took me about 6 weeks to prepare and was ready to test when life got in the way. I had to reschedule the test, during that time I did not continue consistent studying. This was a mistake, when I took the test in December I failed my first attempt.

I was given a break and extra time due to covid. I took some time to recover and started to study again in July, I used a online class that was pretty good but I consistently felt like I was not ready. I was looking for some assurances and did a Google search on what "grade" on practice PMP tests will allow you to pass. When I did the search the prep cast showed up as an option. I looked further into and decided that the PM PrepCast and PMP Exam Simulator was the way to go. I will say this was the best decision I made.

The prep and communication from Cornlelius helped me build a plan. First do the PM PrepCast, second read the PMBOK and third do simulation tests. I started the Prep Cast and did 2-3 hours worth of watching the cast each night, took me about a month to get through everything. From there I read (and highlighted) the PMBOK this took another month reading a chapter a night, roughly two hours. Then I started to take the tests. It was hard for me between work and life to sit for a 200 question test so I did a lot of quizzes. I did (1) 100 question quiz, (6) 50 question quizzes and about 20 smaller quizzes from 10-30 questions at a time. I was able to get about 70% of the questions correct on the first try. This is important because on other test question sites I scored high on repeated attempts but until hearing that only first time questions matter I did not think about it. At this time I felt nervously ready to take the test. I scheduled the test two weeks out. I re-read the PMBOK guild for all areas that I previously highlighted. I took the day off before the test to rest and went into the test ready or not.

The process for the test was different. I used the at home test, it took a while to set up everything and the testing center started the test 30 minutes after I was supposed to start. So be patient there is no communication during this time. This did increase my nerves but after about 20 questions I settled in. 3 hours later I was done and I had passed! The journey to become a PMP was not easy, the second time when I knew better what I had to do was 4 months of study daily at about 3 hours. Overall I feel without the PrepCast and the PMP Exam Simulator I would not have passed. Also, at least for me a good thorough reading of the PMBOK made a world of difference.

Chris Williams

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login