fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned 3 years 5 months ago #24145

• Chris Williams
  • Chris Williams's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
To say my journey was interesting is an understatement. I started the process to get my PMP early in 2019. I submitted all my paperwork and was one of the lucky that end up getting audited. This process while not difficult was long. After I was approved to sit for the test I started my prep. I started by using a prep book. It took me about 6 weeks to prepare and was ready to test when life got in the way. I had to reschedule the test, during that time I did not continue consistent studying. This was a mistake, when I took the test in December I failed my first attempt.

I was given a break and extra time due to covid. I took some time to recover and started to study again in July, I used a online class that was pretty good but I consistently felt like I was not ready. I was looking for some assurances and did a Google search on what "grade" on practice PMP tests will allow you to pass. When I did the search the prep cast showed up as an option. I looked further into and decided that the PM PrepCast and PMP Exam Simulator was the way to go. I will say this was the best decision I made.

The prep and communication from Cornlelius helped me build a plan. First do the PM PrepCast, second read the PMBOK and third do simulation tests. I started the Prep Cast and did 2-3 hours worth of watching the cast each night, took me about a month to get through everything. From there I read (and highlighted) the PMBOK this took another month reading a chapter a night, roughly two hours. Then I started to take the tests. It was hard for me between work and life to sit for a 200 question test so I did a lot of quizzes. I did (1) 100 question quiz, (6) 50 question quizzes and about 20 smaller quizzes from 10-30 questions at a time. I was able to get about 70% of the questions correct on the first try. This is important because on other test question sites I scored high on repeated attempts but until hearing that only first time questions matter I did not think about it. At this time I felt nervously ready to take the test. I scheduled the test two weeks out. I re-read the PMBOK guild for all areas that I previously highlighted. I took the day off before the test to rest and went into the test ready or not.

The process for the test was different. I used the at home test, it took a while to set up everything and the testing center started the test 30 minutes after I was supposed to start. So be patient there is no communication during this time. This did increase my nerves but after about 20 questions I settled in. 3 hours later I was done and I had passed! The journey to become a PMP was not easy, the second time when I knew better what I had to do was 4 months of study daily at about 3 hours. Overall I feel without the PrepCast and the PMP Exam Simulator I would not have passed. Also, at least for me a good thorough reading of the PMBOK made a world of difference.

Chris Williams
Last edit: by Yolanda Mabutas.

Lessons Learned 3 years 5 months ago #24154

• Yolanda Mabutas
  • Thank you received: 39
Congratulations, Chris!

Thank you for sharing your PMP journey.
Yolanda Mabutas
OSP International LLC
www.pm-prepcast.com
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login