fbpx

Reply: Passed PMP on Nov-27

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Passed PMP on Nov-27

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
14 years 4 months ago #1037

Subayu Mandal

Hi All,

Wanted to share with you that I have passed the PMP on 11/27 in my first attempt.

Got proficient in 5 of the six segments and moderately proficient in one.

Before I elaborate on what I did and did not do for the preparation, would like to make the statutory mention that : 'Each individual is different. What worked for me is not guaranteed to work for others. Everyone needs to find out what best works for him/her and prepare accordingly'. Nonetheless, the thing that should be common is a burning desire to excel. A plan for preparation study and perseverence in execution of the plan.

Duration of preparation.

I started preparing on Dec'08. Could not continue for more than couple of weeks. Then I finally started in last week of Oct'09 and passed in last week of Nov'09.

What I did NOT do:
1. Read PMBOK Guide cover to cover
2. Read Rita cover to cover

What I DID:
1. Read Andy Crowe cover to cover - Once. As well as velociteach online one week subscription that came along with the book. It was good.
2. Listened to PM-Prepcast since Dec'08 (Not continuously. Couple of weeks in Dec'08. Couple of weeks in June'09. 3 weeks in Oct-Nov-09)
3. Practiced lots of exam questions (~4,000) including 10 full length timed exams. Reviewed the answers where I was incorrect. researched on Internet as well as PMBOK and Andy/Rita.
4. Read first 3 chapters from PMBOK and Rita.
5. Read chapters where I was weak based on exam results from PMBOK/Rita - 2/3 of them.
6. Used PM Study coach. Helped me to start off systematically. Then when I got the Momentum, in two weeks, to move ahead at a faster rate in my own pace.
7. List of exam sources I used:-

Free Questions:
- www.oliverlehmann.com (Online 75 : toughest; downloadable 175 questions on pdf)
- www.pmstudy.com (Free 200Q mock exam - One of the best)
- www.preparepm.com
- pmpbank.googlepages.com
- www.voightps.com
- www.headfirstlabs.com/

Paid Questions:
- Rita Fast Track (Good questions. But not value for money, though essential)
- www.pmstudy.com 3 sets of paid questions
- ReadySetPass - Much easier than the previous two. But may be used for practice and building up momentum.

On and before exam day:
- After I scheduled my exam about two weeks prior, I called up Prometric and confirmed my booking as well as enquired about what allowed.not allowed.
- I paid a visit to the center 10 days before. It was 50 miles away from my residence and my exam was at 8:00 AM. I decided to stay on a close by hotel the night before.
- My exam was on Friday and I took both Thursday and Friday off.
- I stopped studying at 6:00 PM on Thursday. Went to the Hotel.
- After I checked in, took a drive to the exam center to know the exact route from hotel.
- Watched a movie (didn't finish) and went to bed by 11:00 PM.
- Had breakfast at 6:15. And started for exam center by 7:00 AM.
- 7:40 they let us in. Completed formalities (sign in ID check etc.)
- They provided scratch paper, two pencils and a calculator.
- Nothing except for the above, locker key and ID was allowed to be taken inside the exam area.
- Started at 8:00 AM. Took the demo. Unloaded my Braindump and then started exam.
- Marked and skipped the ones I could not answer in first read. Took a break in about two hours after completing my first apss through all questions
- After break took the marked ones, apprx. 60 of them and completed in 1.25 hours.
- Pressed the 'Submit'; Answered the survey. Waited eayes closed - voilla, I passed!

Final note: The exam questions were tough and took me more than 3 hours to complete.

All the best to all other PMP aspirants.

Regards,
Subayu

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login