fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed PMP on Nov-27

Passed PMP on Nov-27 14 years 4 months ago #1037

• Subayu Mandal
  • Subayu Mandal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,

Wanted to share with you that I have passed the PMP on 11/27 in my first attempt.

Got proficient in 5 of the six segments and moderately proficient in one.

Before I elaborate on what I did and did not do for the preparation, would like to make the statutory mention that : 'Each individual is different. What worked for me is not guaranteed to work for others. Everyone needs to find out what best works for him/her and prepare accordingly'. Nonetheless, the thing that should be common is a burning desire to excel. A plan for preparation study and perseverence in execution of the plan.

Duration of preparation.

I started preparing on Dec'08. Could not continue for more than couple of weeks. Then I finally started in last week of Oct'09 and passed in last week of Nov'09.

What I did NOT do:
1. Read PMBOK Guide cover to cover
2. Read Rita cover to cover

What I DID:
1. Read Andy Crowe cover to cover - Once. As well as velociteach online one week subscription that came along with the book. It was good.
2. Listened to PM-Prepcast since Dec'08 (Not continuously. Couple of weeks in Dec'08. Couple of weeks in June'09. 3 weeks in Oct-Nov-09)
3. Practiced lots of exam questions (~4,000) including 10 full length timed exams. Reviewed the answers where I was incorrect. researched on Internet as well as PMBOK and Andy/Rita.
4. Read first 3 chapters from PMBOK and Rita.
5. Read chapters where I was weak based on exam results from PMBOK/Rita - 2/3 of them.
6. Used PM Study coach. Helped me to start off systematically. Then when I got the Momentum, in two weeks, to move ahead at a faster rate in my own pace.
7. List of exam sources I used:-

Free Questions:
- www.oliverlehmann.com (Online 75 : toughest; downloadable 175 questions on pdf)
- www.pmstudy.com (Free 200Q mock exam - One of the best)
- www.preparepm.com
- pmpbank.googlepages.com
- www.voightps.com
- www.headfirstlabs.com/

Paid Questions:
- Rita Fast Track (Good questions. But not value for money, though essential)
- www.pmstudy.com 3 sets of paid questions
- ReadySetPass - Much easier than the previous two. But may be used for practice and building up momentum.

On and before exam day:
- After I scheduled my exam about two weeks prior, I called up Prometric and confirmed my booking as well as enquired about what allowed.not allowed.
- I paid a visit to the center 10 days before. It was 50 miles away from my residence and my exam was at 8:00 AM. I decided to stay on a close by hotel the night before.
- My exam was on Friday and I took both Thursday and Friday off.
- I stopped studying at 6:00 PM on Thursday. Went to the Hotel.
- After I checked in, took a drive to the exam center to know the exact route from hotel.
- Watched a movie (didn't finish) and went to bed by 11:00 PM.
- Had breakfast at 6:15. And started for exam center by 7:00 AM.
- 7:40 they let us in. Completed formalities (sign in ID check etc.)
- They provided scratch paper, two pencils and a calculator.
- Nothing except for the above, locker key and ID was allowed to be taken inside the exam area.
- Started at 8:00 AM. Took the demo. Unloaded my Braindump and then started exam.
- Marked and skipped the ones I could not answer in first read. Took a break in about two hours after completing my first apss through all questions
- After break took the marked ones, apprx. 60 of them and completed in 1.25 hours.
- Pressed the 'Submit'; Answered the survey. Waited eayes closed - voilla, I passed!

Final note: The exam questions were tough and took me more than 3 hours to complete.

All the best to all other PMP aspirants.

Regards,
Subayu
Regards,
Subayu Mandal
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login