fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: PASSED WITH ONE NEED IMPROVEMENT CANADA CENTER BASED

PASSED WITH ONE NEED IMPROVEMENT CANADA CENTER BASED 3 years 7 months ago #23438

• F Ma
  • F Ma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone,

I thought it would be fair to share my recent experience with the PMP journey, as I myself read many of other experiences through this forum.
First of all english is not my first language, so understanding the subtility of some questions during the exam was really tricky.
I was required to pass this certification by my actual employer.

Well I worked hard for that PMP exam, but I did not want to work too long because I have no time for it. My journey began on july 7th and ended with the exam on september 10 th (almost 2 months with one week where I did not study at all).

-I first read the PMBOK
-I watched Ricardo Vargas flowchart video on youtube
-Then I read RITA's book doing every exercice
-I did not take any notes from no one of these books
-I did Oliver Lehman 100 questions exam and scored 75%, I did some free exams on internet and decided it was not enough to get ready for the real thing
-4 weeks before the exam, I bought PMP Exam Simulator, pm training simulator (Scordo) and started passing tests . I scored like 55 % on the 3 first exams on PMP Exam Simulator because I was unable to finish 200 questions in 4 hours. I changed my strategy and started not reading all the question, only the last sentence unless I was not able to understand (in this case I read all the paragraph): I scored 70-75% for the exams 4 5 6 7.
I did 20 exams of 50 questions on PM training (last 2 weeks before the exam), and one week before the exam I decided to go again through all PMP Exam Simulator. I scored between 75 and 85%.
I stressed myself doing 2 exams a day: yes 2 exams a day... I have a full time job, so I was waiking up daily at 5:00 am to make it.
I was scoring very good at Initiating and Planning (90-100% on all exams), and 65-70% on the other processes.
-I DID NOT memorize any ITTOS
-I memorized some formulas 5 days before the exam (4 formulas of EAC, formulas of schedule and cost, TCPI, etc)

My advices the big day:
-Do not stress, stay focused: it is only an exam and you worked hard and a long time so you will pass it
-The night before the exam say yourself : tomorrow you will be a PMP (that was a shared experience from another user...)
_One day before the exam, go out, do not work, have yoru friends family etc
-Before starting the exam, put all the formulas on a sheet (this advice from another user helped me because my 3 first questions were calculations -not straight calculations....)
-I found the exam really hard, and I cannot say Prepcast simulator is like the real thing. The way questions were asked is completely different.
But the simulator helps in practicing questions during 4 hours.
Some questions on the exam had more than one good answer, some had no good answer to me, and some were not understandable.
-I took at least 3 breaks during the exam (because of human/physical necessity:P :P )
-Questions were short and my 3 first questions were not straight calculations (I took time to think focus and answer )
-I finished on time (10 mn before)
-I did not review my answers (maybe 1 or 2 max)
- I was surprised by my results : I passed with 2 AT (Planning and Monitoring) 2 T (Executing and Closing) and 1 NI (In Initiating: the one that I used to score like 90-100% on Prepcast simulator and pm trainign simulator)
I was not happy with the Need Improvement in Initiating which is not reflecting my work and my real undersatnding of the thing.
But anyway I passed and am happy it' s done.

I hope this can help other aspirants

I share the opinion of Jules in this forum: I don't think a certification reflects the quality of a good Project manager. I had the chance to work as a PM in Africa, Europe and now Canada, and I think the most important quality is the ability of treating others the way you would like to be treated. Respecting others made me successful through my projects and with each project team. I hate the idea of someone telling me how I have to handle a project from A to Z. PMBOK is not a recipe, it is a guide: take it as a guide.
To me certifications are about businesses, nothing more.

I would be happy to help if needed
Good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: Igor
Last edit: by Yolanda Mabutas.

PASSED WITH ONE NEED IMPROVEMENT CANADA CENTER BASED 3 years 7 months ago #23440

• Yolanda Mabutas
  • Thank you received: 39
Hi F Ma,

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your journey!
Yolanda Mabutas
OSP International LLC
www.pm-prepcast.com

PASSED WITH ONE NEED IMPROVEMENT CANADA CENTER BASED 3 years 7 months ago #23445

• F Ma
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I must add something : among all simulators I went through, I would certainly recommend Prepcast simulator, it's the best among all, and I am honest saying that.
I wanted to buy PMI simulator (PM aspire) but after trying its free version during 3 days, I am sorry to say it is a big b.....sh..
With Prepcast simulator even if it is a bit expensive, it worth it. PM training is good but not as good as Prepcast. PM training (Scordo) has only 50 questions, even if they have 23 exams of 50 questions. And I found almost a same question on both simulators but not the same answer so I was a little lost.
This is the question (approximately):
you handle a project at its executing phase. Your replace another Project Manager. There is no project charter on the project. What you will you do :
-assume you don't need a project charter at this phase and continue the project
-make a project charter and have it signed by the Sponsor
-don't execute the project as it doesn't exist
-refuse the project

What is your answer. On Scordo and on Prepcast it was an opposite answer: believe me...

On Scordo (Pm training) they say you have to pursue the project without a charter because it's too late.
On Prepcast, they say you must write a charter at the phase you are and have it signed...

PASSED WITH ONE NEED IMPROVEMENT CANADA CENTER BASED 3 years 7 months ago #23470

• Hanieh Rajaie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello.
Thank you for your feedback.
I have a question. At the end of September, I booked my pmp exam in the center-based in Canada. but I do not have any idea about doing in the center exam, like
1- does the calculator provide to me by the center?
2- how many breaks can I have? you said you had three breaks, but as I know we can have one break?
3 and the break time include in the 4 hours of the exam?
I would appreciate it for you to answer my questions.
Thanks.

PASSED WITH ONE NEED IMPROVEMENT CANADA CENTER BASED 3 years 7 months ago #23471

• Hanieh Rajaie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello.
Thank you for your feedback.
I have a question. At the end of September, I booked my pmp exam in the center-based in Canada. but I do not have any idea about doing in the center exam, like
1- does the calculator provide to me by the center?
2- how many breaks can I have? you said you had three breaks, but as I know we can have one break?
3 and the break time include in the 4 hours of the exam?
I would appreciate it for you to answer my questions.
Thanks.

PASSED WITH ONE NEED IMPROVEMENT CANADA CENTER BASED 3 years 7 months ago #23486

• F Ma
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Hanieh,

The center will provide you a calculator within the computer (like the basic one you have on your laptop). In fact the calculator is included in the PMP exam.
You have only one break during the exam scheduled at the 89th question, for 10 minutes maximum (not included in your 4 hours) : so you have 4 hours and 10 mn.
If you would like to take more breaks like I did, time on the exam will continue, it won't stop.

Please note that if you decide to accept taking the 10 mn break included in your PMP exam, you won't be able to review your 89 responses after the break.
You should review them before the 89th question ( I did not take the time to review I accepted and took the break but it would be better to review your responses)

Hope I answered your questions

PASSED WITH ONE NEED IMPROVEMENT CANADA CENTER BASED 3 years 7 months ago #23487

• Hanieh Rajaie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you so much for answering.
sorry I ask again, just for being sure for understanding..
You said I can have the breaktime in question number 89. it means after I finished question 89 I can have the break and afterward I can start question number 90. right?

PASSED WITH ONE NEED IMPROVEMENT CANADA CENTER BASED 3 years 7 months ago #23488

• F Ma
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes exactly.
You decide if you want the break or not.
If you take the break you will have 10 mn, then you continue after the 10 mn to the 90th question.
But you will not be able to go back and change your answers from 1 to 89, once you take the break.

PASSED WITH ONE NEED IMPROVEMENT CANADA CENTER BASED 3 years 7 months ago #23497

• Hanieh Rajaie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you so much for your help.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login