fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Estimation Question

Estimation Question 3 years 11 months ago #20469

• Estimation Question
  • Estimation Question's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi, I have a software project that is leveraging the Azure cloud. When estimating development stories, the team gets stuck on how to estimate actual development time vs processing time. When you refresh data in the cloud there is often material processing time. When estimating i get responses like, "it takes 2 hours to develop and 8 hours to process." Most of the time the processing happens overnight so the effort gets blurred. It doesn't seem like this type of estimation lends itself to relative sizing. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Estimation Question 3 years 11 months ago #20473

• Harry Elston
  • Thank you received: 144
Dear EQ:

I don't really see a question there, but I will try to address what I think you're asking.

From your description, it appears as though processing (which uses resources) always takes 8 hours per test and programming is the scalable aspect of the project. For example, if Project A takes 2 hours of coding and 8 hours of processing, then the estimation would be 10 hours. If Project B is twice as big, it would be 4 hours of coding and 8 hours of processing, for 12 hours. The equation would be Estimation = Hc+8 hrs, where Hc is the hours spent coding.

Harry
+++++
Harry J. Elston, Ph.D., CIH, PMP
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login