fbpx

Reply: 4,500 hours requirement - your input please

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : 4,500 hours requirement - your input please

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 2 months ago #19705

Lisa Sweeney PMP

Hi Flor,

I agree with Harry.

PMI views proven, practical experience as one of the the most important contributors to project management proficiency.

They are looking for a minimum of 36 months of experience to sit for the PMP exam. Count each calendar month as "1" until you have 36 no matter how many interruptions in work or how many projects you led in that month. In other words, the work doesn't have to be in consecutive months and count each month you led projects as 1 whether you managed one or more projects.

Here’s a handy visual and link to the handbook. See p. 9: Project Management Professional (PMP) Handbook

My best advice: continue to manage projects and apply next year.

Since the PMP exam is changing July 1 of this year, that would give you at least 6 months of feedback from test takers of the new exam plus the requisite amount of professional experience.

PrepCast has a great article about the new exam here: The PMP® Exam is Changing on 1 July 2020

I look forward to seeing you join the ranks next year, Flor!
Attachments:
4 years 2 months ago #19704

Harry Elston

Flor,

I'm not a professional reviewer so I'll let one of the other moderators chime in. However, I do see one quick problem:

A "standard" work year is 2000 hours. While you certainly can get 4500 hours in a 2 yrs and 5 months (that represents 4833 standard work hours), I (personally) would raise an eyebrow at the claim and probably ask for substantial documentation if I were a PMI reviewer.

As to the 3-year minimum, the PMI PMP Certification Handbook ( www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public...f5-981c-ec66e0438fbf ) is clear: 36 months AND 4500 hours of non-overlapping of PM experience. I cannot speak for PMI, but it is my best guess that the application will be rejected for at least 7 more months.

Harry
4 years 2 months ago #19692

Flor Casola

Hello and thanks in advance for your input,

I have logged all my 4,500 hours in an excel and I'm about to start inserting them into the PMI's online application. PMI requests 3 years of experience and 4,500h, but my 4,500 hours are less than 2 years and 5 months.

Do I have to fulfill the 3 years or can I just send my 4,500 hours within a less period?

Thanks!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login