Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: How to deal with tricky questions

How to deal with tricky questions 2 weeks 1 day ago #18904

• Alex Reyes
  • Alex Reyes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Reviewing the questions that I have gotten wrong after taking the Prepcast mock exams (and other simulators for that matter), I realized that I have been second guessing myself with the answers. Constantly throughout the exercise, I'm thinking, "The answer couldn't be this easy. Obviously there's more to this question". So I waste time dissecting every word of the question picking out the tricky wording, which then runs down the clock, resulting in a rushed exam experience. Sure enough after checking the answer, I was right the first time. This has happened in several instances. With an extremely high failure rate (or so I've read), I don't think PMI will let their flagship exam to be conquered that easily, despite a large number of aspirants that have passed.

On the actual exam and mock tests, how does everyone deal with this and prevent the second guessing?
Last edit: by Alex Reyes.

How to deal with tricky questions 1 week 6 days ago #18926

• Joe Pang
  • Thank you received: 58
Hello Alex,

Totally understand what you are going through right now, and I think most people who used Prepcast and passed the exam could relate.

Quite the contrary, I don't think the PMP exam includes many trick questions at all. The exam, however, requires you to know your study materials well in a timely manner. What you are reading an exam question, you have to know what role you are in, knowledge area(s) that you have to apply, and the tool/technique/process that follows. Once you master that, you will notice it takes less and less time to answer a question.

My advise is, keep practicing on the exam simulator, review the study materials, and read up on some of the lessons learned. You will notice your progress very shortly.
Toronto-based project manager, currently engaging in paperless transformation projects for utilities companies

I welcome all types of collaboration opportunities, feel free to connect with me on Linkedin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philippe Louis
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasScott GillardMary Kathrine PaduaCynthia Lim Louis, PMPTracy Shagnea, PMPPatrick Floris PhD PMPJoe PangJohn Paul BugarinAmy MartinezEmily RiveraLisa Sweeney PMPHarry ElstonMani Selvan

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login
Boost Your PMP Exam Prep in Only Eight Hours! Join the Live PMP Coaching Class on November 23/24 for just $179. Click to learn more... OR Click to watch a free session...