fbpx

Reply: Earned Value Calculation

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Earned Value Calculation

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
4 years 1 month ago #20144

Nathan Jones

Fantastic explanation.

Thank you.

NJ
4 years 1 month ago #20131

Yazmine Darcy

Hello Nathan,

Thank you for your follow-up question. At that time, the question was first raised, it was resolved but a response was posted in this forum.

If you are viewing The PM Prepcast on the Learning Management System, you would have seen the following comment on the Earned Value lesson.
If you downloaded The PM Prepcast lessons and watching them on a personal device, then you may not have seen it.

"Please note:
According to the Practice Standard for Earned Value Management, Second Edition, 2011, Project Management Institute, Inc., there are three different methods to calculate the earned value: discrete effort, apportioned effort, and level of effort. The discrete effort method, in turn, is subdivided into four principal measurement methods: a fixed formula, weighted milestone, percent complete, and physical measurement. The selection of the method is determined by several factors, such as the type of the project, phase of the project, type of work package, etc.

The calculation of the earned value in the construction example used in this lesson is based on the physical measurement method. In this method, the value is considered earned when a specific work package is fully completed. Some questions in our PM Exam Simulator, however, use the percent complete measurement method, in which the value is earned in proportion to the percent of work completed on a work package."

I hope the above clarifies things for you.

--
Yazmine Darcy, MBA, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
Director of Operations, OSP International LLC
The Project Management PrepCast™ - www.project-management-prepcast.com
4 years 1 month ago #20097

Nathan Jones

Did this ever get resolved? I had the same question when we were discussing Earned value for Partially Completed activities in our local prep-class.

video 7.05.01 Earned Value Analysis at time 12:10 when defining EV:
“The operative word is performed in other words completed, not partially completed, but completed in full. If we are 75% done with a task that is planned to take 1000$ complete we have earned $0, not $750."

This is contradictory to lessons from Ritas Ninth Edition page 300.

Until you respond ;-),
Nate J
4 years 9 months ago #17693

Cornelius Fichtner

Izak,

When you say "free online test" then you are referring to our Free PMP Exam Simulator... right? If so, then please go back to your examination report and open the question details. Now click on the "Live Feedback" button so that our PMP team receives your question with all the details about the question and can assist you.
4 years 9 months ago #17690

Izak Du Plessis

I did the free online test last night and it had 2 Earned Value questions. I have a question regarding the EV as calculated in the test as a percentage complete per task yet in the prepcast and the PMBOK guide it states EV is only earned on tasks 100% complete, not partially complete. I’m not sure if this is a mistake or if I understand it incorrectly. Please can you clarify this for me. (I'm writing the real exam in a week :unsure: )

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login