Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: How many math/formula questions likely on the exam

How many math/formula questions likely on the exam 9 months 3 weeks ago #15799

• Vikram Natarajan
  • Vikram Natarajan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, folks who have taken the exam, can you care to comment on how many math/formula questions appeared on your exam? Also typically how many math questions should be expected?

How many math/formula questions likely on the exam 9 months 3 weeks ago #15804

• Emily Rivera
  • Thank you received: 13
In my experience, there were a handful of math questions (maybe 5 or 6). If you memorize and understand how to use the basic formulas (earned value, communication channels, etc), you'll do fine on these.

How many math/formula questions likely on the exam 9 months 3 weeks ago #15811

• Vikram Natarajan
  • Vikram Natarajan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you Emily!

How many math/formula questions likely on the exam 9 months 3 weeks ago #15814

• Jessica
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Like Emily, I only had a small handful of formula questions. And I strongly agree with her suggestion to understand each formula.

During my exam, I had a question where I needed to calculate TCPI. I blanked. I spent more than a minute trying to think of it and, afraid to waste too much time, I marked it for review and moved on. When I came back to it, I was a bit calmer and had more time to think. What do I need in order to calculate TCPI? Well obviously I need to know how much work remains. How do I calculate that? BAC-EV! That's the numerator! Once I had that I immediately remembered the denominator and calculated the correct answer. But if I had only memorized the formulas and didn't make a point to understand them, I would have been lost.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasScott GillardMary Kathrine PaduaSteven Mudrinich, PMPCynthia Lim Louis, PMPTracy Shagnea, PMPPatrick Floris PhD PMPJoe PangJohn Paul BugarinJason YorekLuke HoSimone ChristieAmy MartinezDaniel DewartEmily RiveraMani Selvan

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login
Boost Your PMP Exam Prep in Only Eight Hours! Join the Live PMP Coaching Class on September 21/22 for just $179. Click to learn more... OR Click to watch a free session...