fbpx

Reply: Impact estimate before submitting change request

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Impact estimate before submitting change request

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
5 years 5 months ago #15356

Vanlal Peka

Hi Nathan,

I think the change request will be elaborated as it goes on i.e. it will begin with a 'skeleton' change request that has minimal information, which will be elaborated and reviewed.

In the question above, the change request will have something along the line of 'design change is needed to benefit the project'.

Should the question mention any impact on project constraints, the first step will still be logging a change request, which will later be assessed/evaluated/reviewed. The change request may contain suggested design changes and potential impact to the project constraints. Detailed impact analysis will be performed and updated/attached to the submitted change request. These information will be reviewed to dispose the change request.

I think the progression is similar to a risk entry in Risk Register. It starts with minimal information and potential solution/response.

References:
1. www.izenbridge.com/blog/integrated-chang...e-of-change-request/
2. greycampus.com/opencampus/project-management-professional/perform-integrated-change-control
3. Rita's page 161
5 years 5 months ago #15345

Nathan Boling, PMP

Thanks this one confused me as well. So just to summarize and make sure I understand: the change request is the best answer because the change request already includes an analysis of impacts on the project constraints? If the question had mentioned concerns regarding the project constraints it would have been appropriate for the Project Manger in the scenario to do an impact analysis before the engineer submits the change request?
5 years 5 months ago #15344

Vanlal Peka

Thank you for your inputs. It helped me get my head around this.

Looks like the keyword here is evaluate vs. identify.
So the sequence of events will be: identify the impact, submit change request, gather information and evaluate the impact, then review the change request.
5 years 5 months ago #15322

Siavash Eshaghi

Hello

I have developed a Change Management Flowcart based on Rita's book. Page 160-162. It might need some refinement but I think overall it is a good start to understand the activities before change requests/ during change request and outcomes that we expect.
Attachments:
5 years 5 months ago #15319

Joe Pang

Vanlal Peka wrote: Thank you for responding, Joe, Cynthia.

I do not disagree with your points. But the following question from PM Prepcast mock test confused me a bit. Could you let me know your thoughts?
Hope it's alright to post a Prepcast question here.

Question ID 610083
During project planning, the project team rigorously defined the project scope. During project execution, a senior engineer calls the project manager and suggests a simpler and more efficient design which could benefit the project.

What should the project manager do next?
A. Nothing, no changes are needed since the project scope was rigorously defined
B. Discuss the change with the project sponsor
C. Evaluate impact of the proposed change on the project constraints ( I selected this option based on Rita's. But PM Prepcast's reasoning is that a change request must be submitted prior to the impact analysis.)
D. Ask that engineer submit a change request (This is the best answer, per PM Prepcast mock test. Referred PMBOK 6th Ed. page 115)

Hi Vanlal,

Always remember to switch on the exam logic when writing the PMP exam.

In a real world setting, it is perfectly normal for my brain to start analyzing as soon as the senior engineer approaches me with the suggestion. However, in an exam setting, you only need to analysis the effect that the change makes after the change request has been made.

Therefore, both the answer C & D are correct, but D is a better answer because an impact analysis is only needed after a change request has been made.

Hope this helps,
Joe
5 years 5 months ago #15318

Cynthia Lim Louis, PMP

Also about "impact analysis", I would think this step will take place in the M&C process group. Let me try and give you a scenario using the question by looking a little further.

Let's say, the CCB approved the change request, under the supervision of the senior engineer, the design team started executing the better design. Half way through the project, the senior engineer resigned and no one in the team is able to continue leading the better design. The project manager knows that this will impact the project schedule because it takes some time to find a replacement. Here, the project manager may conduct an analysis to determine how much this would affect the project, if it affects the baseline, then the project manager can submit a change request.

I hope my explanation helps.

Cynthia

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login