Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: What counts as hours towards Project Management?

What counts as hours towards Project Management? 1 year 2 months ago #14438

• Austin
  • Austin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
While I have a 4-year degree, I am unsure if my program management hours (past 3 years totaling 6,240 hours) would count towards the project management hours required to get the PMP certification. I have been a program manager for a non-profit in Nashville, TN.

Does anyone know the answer to this? If this position does not count towards hours required, can someone point me in a general direction as to how I can get on the Project Management pathway?

What counts as hours towards Project Management? 1 year 2 months ago #14443

• Ty Weston, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
The PMP hours can be anything where you lead or managed a project, and where the term 'project' is consistent with the PMI. As we know, a Program Manager may or may not manage a specific and individual project. The point here is that if you can adequately prove, and have someone verify it, that you actually lead, managed, or was part of a project and your actions are consistent with the definition of a project, those hours should be accepted.
As always, if you have deep concern, I would recommend you call the PMI and and get clarification.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasScott GillardMary Kathrine PaduaSteven Mudrinich, PMPCynthia Lim Louis, PMPTracy Shagnea, PMPPatrick Floris PhD PMPJoe PangJohn Paul BugarinJason YorekLuke HoSimone ChristieAmy MartinezDaniel DewartEmily Rivera

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login
Boost Your PMP Exam Prep in Only Eight Hours! Join the Live PMP Coaching Class on August 24/25 for just $179. Click to learn more... OR Click to watch a free session...