Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: PMP Experience Description Feedback

PMP Experience Description Feedback 1 year 4 months ago #13932

• tomster
  • tomster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,
I am working on my PMP application and would like to ask for some feedback on my description for a project in my experience section. I am attempting to be very efficient while ensuring to cover the PMI processes relevant to the project. One concern I have is that many of my projects are almost identical in nature and I don't know how to vary the responsibility descriptions without losing the core process references. Here is what I have. Note my attempt to save characters by stringing process and deliverables with commas. Any feedback or recommendations that you may have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tomster

"OBJ: DEVELOP website for legal firm OUT: Website launch ROL: Project Mgr RESP: I did the following - IN: MANAGED meetings; DEVELOPED project charter /brief, stakeholder register, high-level requirements; SECURED authorization; PL: CREATED project plans, brief; DEFINED requirements, scope: CREATED WBS, schedule, budget, quality, risk plans; EX: LED & DIRECTED multifunct team to meet project objectives; MC: MON & CONTROLLED team work, quality, schedule, change, risk; REPORTED progress. CL: ENSURED project acceptance; UPDATED lessons learned."

PMP Experience Description Feedback 1 year 4 months ago #13936

• Ty Weston, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
It is OK if your projects are similar as long as they are projects by definition. You can always tweak the wording a bit. Looking at my old application, I think you are on the right track here.
It is real important to use words and phrases that are used in the PMBOK.

PMP Experience Description Feedback 1 year 4 months ago #13957

• tomster
  • tomster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hey Ty,
Thanks for the feedback.

In reviewing a lot of sample project descriptions it appears that there is two schools of thought on how to write them:

A) Simply make direct references to PMBOK terminology...which feels a bit "cut and paste", or

B) do a more prosey description with references to more project specific processes; like "I led SEO,copy, design, dev teams; controlled client change requests; managed QA & testing" etc. The later sounds more natural and while alluding to PMBOK processes it leaves some room for interpretation and eats up a lot of characters. Seems like we need a balance between A and B. Truthfully...it may just get down to who is reviewing your application. Frankly, we PMs can easily take a page to accurately describe the project's we manage.

I appreciate that you took the time to look at your own descriptions as a reference. I have my marching orders.
Tomster
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasScott GillardMary Kathrine PaduaSteven Mudrinich, PMPCynthia Lim Louis, PMPTracy Shagnea, PMPPatrick Floris PhD PMPJoe PangJohn Paul BugarinJason YorekLuke HoSimone ChristieAmy MartinezDaniel DewartEmily Rivera

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login
Boost Your PMP Exam Prep in Only Eight Hours! Join the Live PMP Coaching Class on August 24/25 for just $179. Click to learn more... OR Click to watch a free session...