fbpx

Reply: PMP Experience Description Feedback

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : PMP Experience Description Feedback

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
5 years 11 months ago #13957

tomster

's Avatar

Hey Ty,
Thanks for the feedback.

In reviewing a lot of sample project descriptions it appears that there is two schools of thought on how to write them:

A) Simply make direct references to PMBOK terminology...which feels a bit "cut and paste", or

B) do a more prosey description with references to more project specific processes; like "I led SEO,copy, design, dev teams; controlled client change requests; managed QA & testing" etc. The later sounds more natural and while alluding to PMBOK processes it leaves some room for interpretation and eats up a lot of characters. Seems like we need a balance between A and B. Truthfully...it may just get down to who is reviewing your application. Frankly, we PMs can easily take a page to accurately describe the project's we manage.

I appreciate that you took the time to look at your own descriptions as a reference. I have my marching orders.
Tomster
5 years 11 months ago #13936

Ty Weston, PMP

It is OK if your projects are similar as long as they are projects by definition. You can always tweak the wording a bit. Looking at my old application, I think you are on the right track here.
It is real important to use words and phrases that are used in the PMBOK.
5 years 11 months ago #13932

tomster

's Avatar

Hi,
I am working on my PMP application and would like to ask for some feedback on my description for a project in my experience section. I am attempting to be very efficient while ensuring to cover the PMI processes relevant to the project. One concern I have is that many of my projects are almost identical in nature and I don't know how to vary the responsibility descriptions without losing the core process references. Here is what I have. Note my attempt to save characters by stringing process and deliverables with commas. Any feedback or recommendations that you may have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tomster

"OBJ: DEVELOP website for legal firm OUT: Website launch ROL: Project Mgr RESP: I did the following - IN: MANAGED meetings; DEVELOPED project charter /brief, stakeholder register, high-level requirements; SECURED authorization; PL: CREATED project plans, brief; DEFINED requirements, scope: CREATED WBS, schedule, budget, quality, risk plans; EX: LED & DIRECTED multifunct team to meet project objectives; MC: MON & CONTROLLED team work, quality, schedule, change, risk; REPORTED progress. CL: ENSURED project acceptance; UPDATED lessons learned."

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login