fbpx

Reply: Critical path method

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Critical path method

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
3 years 5 months ago #23843

Gabriella Dellino, PMP

Hi Heather,

following Leila's example, if the critical path is 30 days and you have another (non-critical) path of 25 days, the project duration cannot be less than 30 days. This is what "which determines the shortest possible project duration" refers to. In order to complete all tasks, you need to have all the activities on the critical path completed, which will require you at least 30 days. Then, if any of the activities on the critical path gets delayed (for whatever reason), the whole project duration will increase, because activities on the critical path have zero float.

Hope this helps clarifying the point. I clearly remember Cornelius discussing the critical path in detail in the lessons dedicated to Project Schedule Management (Module 6), but I cannot point to the lesson number as I do not have access to the course anymore. You should be able to find a list of all modules and lessons, as well as a topic index when you access the PMPrepCast online.

Gabriella
3 years 5 months ago #23835

Heather Fowler

Was this question ever answered?

Is there a lesson in the current version of the training program that covers this topic in more detail? Please let me know.
6 years 3 months ago #12629

Leila Nattagh

Thanks anyway guys!
I passed the exam today with "above target" results. I'm very happy!
Thank you Cornelius Fichtner!
6 years 3 months ago #12598

Leila Nattagh

Hi all,
I'm having some difficulty understanding the critical path.
the PMBOK guide defines it as "the critical path is the sequence of activities that represents the longest path through a project, which determines the shortest possible project duration". .... What does this mean? In sample questions, the path with the longest duration is the critical path. (30 days versus 25 days ).This is contradictory to the definition. What am I missing here?
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login