fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Critical path method

Critical path method 6 years 4 months ago #12598

• Leila Nattagh
  • Leila Nattagh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,
I'm having some difficulty understanding the critical path.
the PMBOK guide defines it as "the critical path is the sequence of activities that represents the longest path through a project, which determines the shortest possible project duration". .... What does this mean? In sample questions, the path with the longest duration is the critical path. (30 days versus 25 days ).This is contradictory to the definition. What am I missing here?
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Critical path method 6 years 4 months ago #12629

• Leila Nattagh
  • Leila Nattagh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks anyway guys!
I passed the exam today with "above target" results. I'm very happy!
Thank you Cornelius Fichtner!

Critical path method 3 years 6 months ago #23835

• Heather Fowler
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Was this question ever answered?

Is there a lesson in the current version of the training program that covers this topic in more detail? Please let me know.

Critical path method 3 years 6 months ago #23843

• Gabriella Dellino, PMP
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Hi Heather,

following Leila's example, if the critical path is 30 days and you have another (non-critical) path of 25 days, the project duration cannot be less than 30 days. This is what "which determines the shortest possible project duration" refers to. In order to complete all tasks, you need to have all the activities on the critical path completed, which will require you at least 30 days. Then, if any of the activities on the critical path gets delayed (for whatever reason), the whole project duration will increase, because activities on the critical path have zero float.

Hope this helps clarifying the point. I clearly remember Cornelius discussing the critical path in detail in the lessons dedicated to Project Schedule Management (Module 6), but I cannot point to the lesson number as I do not have access to the course anymore. You should be able to find a list of all modules and lessons, as well as a topic index when you access the PMPrepCast online.

Gabriella
Gabriella Dellino, PhD, PMP
PMPrepCast Community Moderator
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login