Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: EAC when to use which formula

EAC when to use which formula 1 year 7 months ago #12284

• Debbie Dananberg
  • Debbie Dananberg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I was doing a practice exam and knew the BAC, AC and EV. The question asked to calculate the EAC. I used the formula EAC = AC + BAC - EV. and found my answer. However it was marked wrong and instead the solution used EAC = BAC/CPI . Is there a way to determine when to use one formula vs the other?

EAC when to use which formula 1 year 7 months ago #12287

• Ahmed Amin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
here are the notes from my study log, hope t helps

If the CPI is expected to be the same for the remainder of the project, EAC can be calculated using: EAC = BAC/CPI
which basically means you expect the future of the project to be the same as the previous period.

If future work will be accomplished at the planned rate, use: EAC = AC + BAC – EV
which means whatever happened in the past period will not affect the plan of the remaining work.

If the initial plan is no longer valid, use: EAC = AC + Bottom-up ETC
which means the initial planning turned out invalid and the remaining work will be re-estimated.

If both the CPI and SPI influence the remaining work, use: EAC = AC + [(BAC – EV)/(CPI x SPI)]
Ahmed Amin Abdullah, PMP
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Debbie Dananberg, S Malani
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasScott GillardMary Kathrine PaduaSteven Mudrinich, PMPCynthia Lim Louis, PMPTracy Shagnea, PMPPatrick Floris PhD PMPJoe PangJason YorekLuke HoSimone ChristieAmy MartinezDaniel DewartEmily Rivera

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login
21-Jun-2019: Free PMP Exam Coaching Webinar with Dan Ryan Register Now...