Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: How to calculate Present Value & Future Value on standard PC Calculator????

How to calculate Present Value & Future Value on standard PC Calculator???? 3 years 10 months ago #8777

• Kelly Coughlin
  • Kelly Coughlin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Can anybody tell me how to perform these calculations using a standard Windows calculator? I bought the Prepcast formula study guide and although I have the formulas I cannot figure out how to do them using the Windows calculator. Thanks.

How to calculate Present Value & Future Value on standard PC Calculator???? 3 years 10 months ago #8790

• Kevin Nason
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Kelly

I would start by looking on YouTube for some very simple videos, like this one
. It is important for you to understand the PV and FV formula and what it means so you can pull the relevant data from the exam question. Looking back when I took the exam in April, the PV and FV question required analysis and understanding. Once you understand the meaning of the formula the "manual" calculation was easy.

The prometric center I went to handed me a very basic calculator, as in small and limited functionality. I also had access to the "windows" version and that was very basic as well. There was not option to change the calculator to a "scientific" or what other options there are currently offered in windows in current versions. It is something I checked. ;)

So my advice to you is to not to rely on short cuts available on a calculator, given that the test center may not have those options for you at test time, and the actual exam question may not be so easy as plugging in the numbers. I personally find that understanding the formula and how it works is much better, since you can always back into the answer given the it is a multiple choice exam.

I hope this helps you and best of luck in your exam prep!

Kevin

How to calculate Present Value & Future Value on standard PC Calculator???? 3 years 10 months ago #8791

• Kelly Coughlin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks very much for the reply, I agree, Youtube is the best resource for pretty much any question in the world. Cheers.
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaCynthia Lim Louis, PMPTracy Shagnea, PMPGabriella Dellino, PMPPatrick Floris PhD PMPJoe PangJohn Paul BugarinAmy MartinezEmily Rivera, PMPLisa Sweeney PMPHarry ElstonMani SelvanDenver MartinEric Wanyutu Kahiga, PMPSarah FucciThiago França, PMP®Felix Kamanga, PMPChan RampersaudElena MekhanoshinaKyle Kilbride, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login