fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: Brain Dumping No Longer Allowed at Prometric Test Centers

Brain Dumping No Longer Allowed at Prometric Test Centers 7 years 6 months ago #8657

• Dana M. Anderson
  • Dana M. Anderson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,
I received a notification via my YouTube Subscription that "effective immediately" Brain Dumping No Longer Allowed during the period set aside to familiarize yourself with the computer, etc. at Prometric Test Centers.
The video states that you're not given paper until you officially begin taking the test, so you have to use your testing time to perform your brain dump.
Can anyone validate that?
Thank you.

Brain Dumping No Longer Allowed at Prometric Test Centers 7 years 6 months ago #8658

• Kevin Nason
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Dana

I suspect that you are referring to the Video posted from Parizion Titled No More PMP Exam Braindumping - Effective Immediately.

I saw video as well and did some searching and have not found anything backing up this claim.

I decided just mintues ago to do a live chat on the PMI.org website with a representative and he did confirm that "You are no longer able to create the brain dump during the tutorial" You can create one once the exam actually starts.

Thank You

Kevin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cornelius Fichtner, Dana M. Anderson, Hazem Ibrahim

Brain Dumping No Longer Allowed at Prometric Test Centers 7 years 6 months ago #8675

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • President, OSP International LLC
  • Thank you received: 606
I have also written to two of my contacts at PMI Certifications and asked about this. I'll write an update as soon as I hear back.
Until Next Time,
Cornelius Fichtner, PMP, CSM
President, OSP International LLC

Brain Dumping No Longer Allowed at Prometric Test Centers 7 years 5 months ago #8683

• Ganavel Dorai Rethinam, MSc, PMP
  • Ganavel Dorai Rethinam, MSc, PMP's Avatar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi All,

I got confimation from PMI. Its no longer allowed. Refer to the official reply from PMI below:

Dear Ganavel,

After researching this matter with the Exam Development department, we have received confirmation that we are not allowing candidates the option of participating in a “brain dump” during the exam navigation tutorial.

This process is not authorized by PMI, nor is it authorized by Prometric. Therefore, candidates that begin creating notes prior to the start of the examination, will be at risk of having those notes confiscated. This practice cannot be waived, and candidates will be required to proceed with the examination, if their notes are confiscated.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Exam Delivery Department
Program Administration
Project Management Institute
14 Campus Boulevard
Newtown Square, PA 19073-3299
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cornelius Fichtner

Brain Dumping No Longer Allowed at Prometric Test Centers 7 years 5 months ago #8693

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
All,

The following was posted on LinkedIn by Gregg Schaffer who is the Manager of PMI's REP Program:

Over the past few weeks we’ve received a few questions regarding the practice of “brain dumps” while taking a PMI exam. Here is PMI’s policy on this matter and what will be enforced at Prometric testing centers:

• Testing candidates can start to utilize their scratch paper/note boards once the exam has officially started
• Doing a “brain dump” during the 15 minute tutorial period or prior is not allowed
• All scratch paper/note boards will be collected at the end of the testing session

Please keep this policy in mind if you advise your students about this practice.

This means that it is now official: Exam takers are no longer allowed to do a brain dump during the tutorial period.

Paul Finnerty from Peak Performance argued for this change as follows: "I think what [PMI] is advising is that the PMI credential exams are to be conducted the same as almost all academic exams, ie you bring only allowed items into the room and you start the test at the appointed time."

I tend to agree with Paul here. While this change will be seen by exam takers as "a step back", it will overall raise the reputation of the PMP exam. Let's also not forget that the exam is not about memorization but about experience. And you cannot dump your experience onto a piece of paper.

Those who pass the exam under this new rule will garner a higher respect from their colleagues.
Until Next Time,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Last edit: by Cornelius Fichtner.

Brain Dumping No Longer Allowed at Prometric Test Centers 7 years 5 months ago #8699

• Neha Shah
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Any idea if we will be given a paper after the 15 min tutorial is done?

Brain Dumping No Longer Allowed at Prometric Test Centers 7 years 5 months ago #8703

• Mark Wuenscher, PMP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Neha,

You should always be sure to understand your test center policies procedures and always ask questions if you don't understand. For example, at my test center you had to ask for a hand held calculator if you wanted one. They would not just give you one. Ask them how they will monitor when your 15 min. tutorial is completed so that you can get the paper and start the exam without losing any valuable time.

Good luck,

Mark
Mark Wuenscher, PMP
Community Moderator

Brain Dumping No Longer Allowed at Prometric Test Centers 7 years 5 months ago #8705

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
We just published an article on this topic in which I summarize the situation and advise our students on the way forward:

www.project-management-prepcast.com/free...-pmp-exam-brain-dump
Until Next Time,

Brain Dumping No Longer Allowed at Prometric Test Centers 7 years 5 months ago #8709

• Monty
  • Monty's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
As much as you'd like to think this is a good thing, for those that have spent the last few months reading all of yours and everyone else's material on how to do a brain dump and the best way to do it, now telling me I cant use it, it is Not a good thing or good practice to enforce it without announcing a change and a date the change will take affect.

Just my two cents.

That said, I have noticed in my last few weeks of preparing, that it is extremely rare that I would even look at the thing when doing practice tests. I'll spend this weekend seeing how fast I can write the couple of forecasting formulas that still make me think.

Brain Dumping No Longer Allowed at Prometric Test Centers 7 years 5 months ago #8712

• Cornelius Fichtner
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
To clarify the policy, Gregg Shaffer (Manager, Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.) Program) posted the following comment on LinkedIn:

To be clear, PMI still allows “brain dumps.” However, because of the importance of the tutorial, PMI simply states that the practice of “brain dumps,” in alignment with industry best practices and standards, not be allowed until after the tutorial is completed. We ask all to please respect and follow this direction.

Until Next Time,

Brain Dumping No Longer Allowed at Prometric Test Centers 7 years 5 months ago #8727

• Matt Mcdonnell
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
When I did my exam last week, I went in knowing I couldn't do a brain dump. So I spent 5 minutes going through the tutorial, started my exam, and did the brain dump as soon as I started the exam. If you go into the exam treating it as a 3 hour and 50 minute exam instead of a 4 hour exam, then you can take the time to do your dump, and just pace yourself slightly faster to complete the rest of it.

I was given my paper when I was seated, and told that I wouldn't be able to write anything until I clicked the "start" button. Although in my case, I just had a bunch of EVM formulas, and in the end, there only a handful of questions that required EVM formulas...
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login