fbpx

Reply: Resource calendar .... two different definitions

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Resource calendar .... two different definitions

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 6 months ago #8286

Regina

's Avatar

I agree that the diagram is not wrong. Besides the reason mentioned by them, also human resources can be acquired by procurement, e.g. if you source engineering services from outside the company. And those contracts can influence the resource calendar.

And additionally (even if it sounds a bit cynical) for the exam it does not really matter if you think it is wrong or even if it is objectively wrong. PMI thinks it is right and that is what counts. Many very experienced project managers fail the PMP because they insist on their view of project management, ignoring the PMI view.
7 years 6 months ago #8266

Mark Wuenscher, PMP

I agree with Rahul. You have different types of resources, human and others which may be procured equipment or other needed resources which could be from either inside or outside the company. It seems to me that the definition of Develop Project Team (e.g. improved overall project performance ) on page 273 could not be met if the project team is not made aware of the other project resources from Conduct Procurements that are required to successfully carry out the project.

Mark
7 years 6 months ago #8259

Hazem Ibrahim

lets look logically to the matter , if you have resources calendar as an output from two process one related to human resources coming from acquire project team process and the second is related to procurements comes as out put from conduct procurements process and now you are on develop humane project team which output you will refer to?logically for the one coming from acquire project team not the one which is related to procurement process and that what I mean by the error at table 9-10, I'm not saying that using resource calendar is wrong, I'm saying it should come from acquire project team process not conduct procurements
7 years 6 months ago #8258

Rahul Kakkar

Hazem Ibrahim wrote: We are processing develop project team process so any outcome from conduct procurement is irrelevant

No. It's relevant in the example I gave wherein we need to procure equipment / resources (from outside the company) which will be included as part of the total resources for the project/project team. That input of procuring resources from outside the firm will be known only via the output of conduct procurement which is "Resource Calendars" because we need to know "The quantity and availability of contracted resources and those dates on which each specific resource or resource group can be active or idle are documented." when we are developing our project team.
7 years 6 months ago #8257

Hazem Ibrahim

's Avatar

We are processing develop project team process so any outcome from conduct procurement is irrelevant and it's clear that it comes as output from acquire project team process as an output .please review my previous comment carefully
7 years 6 months ago #8256

Rahul Kakkar

Hi Hazem,

I don't think there is a mistake in the data flow diagram. We need to keep in mind that the resource calendar is not only applied to human resources. Any scarce piece of equipment is also a resource, and you can use a resource calendar to make sure it’s available when your team needs it. The resource calendar has information on which resources—which includes equipment and material, as well as people—are available at specific times. Therefore it is an output of "conduct procurements" because your resources could also include that "scarce piece of equipment" which you procure / buy, if you decide to do so. Hope this helps clear the confusion.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login