fbpx

Reply: Difference between Crashing and Fast Tracking.

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Difference between Crashing and Fast Tracking.

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
14 years 7 months ago #477

Chan Krish

Thanks Cornelius for the quick reply.

Let me watch the episode again.
14 years 7 months ago #476

Cornelius Fichtner

Chandrasekaran,

Please watch Episode 6.05.2 Develop Schedule. We take about 10 minutes to explain the attributes of and differences between fast tracking and crashing. I cannot really explain it any better than I did there.

But here are a few notes:
- Crashing and fast tracking is ALWAYS on the critical path.
- Crashing adds cost that may not be in your budget.
- Fast tracking adds risk
- Fast tracking does NOT add resources. But you will start work sooner, so resources that were scheduled to be utilized later may have to start earlier in the project.
- If you crash and don't get efficiency you might just as well not do it. So it has to be efficient and cost effective.
14 years 7 months ago #475

Chan Krish

Hi All,

I have been trying to understand the difference between Crashing and Fast tracking. Following are my understanding and questions:

Understanding:
Fast tracking means that you look at activities that are normally done in sequence and assign them instead partially in parallel. If you were fast-tracking, you would start constructing the solution in areas where you felt the design was pretty solid without waiting for the entire design to be completed.

"Crashing" the schedule means to throw additional resources to the critical path without necessarily getting the highest level of efficiency. For instance, let’s say one person was working on a ten-day activity on the critical path. If you were really desperate to shorten this timeframe, you might add a second resource to this activity.

Similarities are:
1) Both the approaches are aimed at reducing the schedule
2) Both the approaches require addition of resources to achieve the goal
3) Even though fast tracking doesn't mention the term Critical Path, it's obvious that the Critical Path tasks need to be done in parallel to reduce the schedule. So, both the approaches involve changes to Critical Path activities schedule.

Given the above, both of them looks similar with no subtle difference. But, the two different terms should have been created for a purpose, that i might be missing here.

Thanks!

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login