fbpx

Reply: Change of project manager - Which process group does handover belong to?

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Change of project manager - Which process group does handover belong to?

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 10 months ago #7460

Yasir Mehmood

I'm not sure of the answer either but if I HAD to put this in a project phase I would say it's in the Monitor and Control phase since the change can happen during any phase of the project life cycle.

It has been a long time since I had filled out my PMP application so can't recall exactly how it's structured or what changes they've made recently but I don't think the closing process group would be where the task would belong. You shouldn't have to go through the change control process either since cost, schedule, etc. are usually not affected by this change. If any process would cover this switch, perhaps it would be under "Control Stakeholder Engagement?" I don't see it fitting anywhere else.
7 years 10 months ago #7458

Daniel Bolt

Hi Bryan.
I`m not sure but :
1. Manage Project Team -> Change request (page 284)
2. Perform Integrated Change Control
3. Acquire project team ?

Daniel
7 years 10 months ago #7456

Bryan

's Avatar

Thanks a lot Tracey, your approach does sound absolutely logical!

More specifically, I was wondering how to enter the handover into my PMP application, since I handed over several projects on leaving my previous employer. I was wondering if I could simply enter the task of "project handover to new PM" into the closing process group. If you or anyone else has a suggestion of how this could specificall be entered, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Thanks very much in advance,
Bryan
7 years 10 months ago #7455

Tracey South

Hi Bryan:

I'm not aware of a definitive answer but this is how I approach it in real life. Through Change Control (Monitoring & Controlling), I begin the change process. There is usually a series of communications to key stakeholders. I then officially close the project from an administrative point of view, usually for my records only. The new PM goes through a ramp up process. It is essentially going through the entire project cycle to ensure that they have everything they need to seamlessly take over the project. This is a good validation check that everything had been documented and scope hadn't changed. The charters, requirements documents, project timelines and stakeholder lists should be up to date, especially as I have closed my part of the project.

Hope this helps.
Tracey
7 years 10 months ago #7453

Bryan O'Connell

Hi Cornelius and all the members,
if there is to be a change of project managers on a project, in which process group would the handover take place? Is it part of the "manage project team" process? Therefore part of the "executing" process group? Or is it rather part of the M&C process group?

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
Bryan

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login