fbpx
Do you need customer support or technical assistance? Click here to submit a support ticket...

TOPIC: HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 8 years 1 month ago #7091

• Amanda VanWagner
  • Amanda VanWagner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Wondering if anyone has insight into why PMI is rejecting my application based on my Project Descriptions. I originally submitted my application last week, but got a reply that my project descriptions must be edited and resubmitted to better describe my role and to confirm that my projects were "truly projects"as defined by PMBOK Section 3.2. Below are some examples from my application, which I have already revised slightly. Can anyone give me reasons why they are not detailed enough or would not count as projects? I don't want to resubmit them if I am doing this all wrong, because I believe it may result in my application being formally rejected if I don't get it right the second time. It's so tough to provide lots of detail in only 550 chars... Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Project Title: Develop Research Data Management Web Application
Deliverables: web application, documentation. PL: Created Project Management Plan and subsidiary plans. EXEC: Communicated with stakeholders regularly to keep them informed M&C: I monitored that plans were adhered to, reviewed work performance data & performed variance analyses to identify deviations. I issued change requests when necessary to avoid negative risks or missed milestones. I delivered status updates and formal progress reports. I kept all project documents updated.

Project Title: Develop Central Authentication System
Deliverables: web-based authentication system, documentation. IN: Assisted the executive team with creation of the project charter. PL: I performed a make-or-buy analysis & presented make or buy decision to produce internally. Assigned resources to the project, created schedule. EX: Managed the project team and provided them with feedback. Delivered status reports to stakeholders and managed stakeholder expectations for final deliverable CL: Updated lessons learned docs. The final software deliverables were accepted in stakeholder meetings.

Project Title: Complete Hosting Infrastructure Migration.
Deliverables: Operational data center, documentation. IN: Created project charter & stakeholder register. PL: Assigned project resources, created project schedule, created RFQs for bidders. EX: Conducted procurements resulting in satisfactory contracts. Communicated with stakeholders on progress. MC: Monitored procurements to ensure compliance to contractual requirements. Issued change requests to ensure adherence to constraints and requirements. CL: Transitioned all support to Development Operations team, captured lessons learned for OPAs.

Hello,

I got your concern. Please us sometimes, I will respond shortly.

Thank you
Last edit: by Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL. Reason: support

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 8 years 1 month ago #7096

• Ahmed Amin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 73
Hi Amanda,
I read through the descriptions you included and couldn't find why they were rejected :unsure: , did you try to contact PMI to point out the reasons of rejection?

also can you post the full list of projects you included in your application, may be the problem is not is the sample you included.
Ahmed Amin Abdullah, PMP
Community Moderator

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 8 years 1 month ago #7097

• Tracey South
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi Amanda: This must be really frustrating. Here are my thoughts when I read your application. Consider looking at the titles of your projects. They seem focused on the execution and delivery of the project versus the project as a whole. For example: Develop Research Data Management Application Consider renaming this to something like: Research Data Management Apllicatiom Project. Also, be very clear where you led and directed in the project.

Hope this helps and good luck on your re-submission.

Tracey
Community Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amanda VanWagner

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 8 years 1 month ago #7098

• Magroud Noreddine
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello Amanda,

I'm not sure if i'm right but here is my advice when i look at your application.

Here is what PMI write on the top of the description box : "The summary should include, the project objective and your role, as well as key deliverables and outcomes by process groups. the description should include example on how you led and direct this project.

First of all you don't need to put the title of your project as you already put it before in your application. remember you only 500 characters by project !
Second we don't know by reading your application what role did you have on your projects.

How i did to manage my application is i look at Cornelius videos but i also checked other videos on youtube for that.

Remember again that you have only 500 character and i think PMI wants to see at least one process by process group you said you worked on.
Actually you can't put two as per the number of characters.
Also you don't need to write down the process group before you write down what you did which process you use or which tools and techniques you use, as you certainly hear in Cornelius videos people reviewing your application they are from PMI so certainly already PMP for a long time...
They certainly know just by reading in which process group this falls, this is why again Cornelius says in his video to use PMI vocabulary.
So don't use the process group names i do think this is not necessary.
Let me give you an example of the summary of one of my project ! hope this will help you.

"The Goal of this project was to create an online store solution for people that wanted to buy jewelry in china. We develop or buy and upgrade serveral deliverables. I worked as a project leader.

In this project i took care of, including but not limited to :

Develop and obtain approval for the project charter.
Developing the work breakdown structure (WBS)
Make or Buy Analysis
Execute the tasks as defined in the project plan
Manage changes to the project scope, schedule, and costs
Archive project documents

I just check again and this is already 502 character, i use their term especially the "including but not limited to" which is very helpful as we don't have a lot of character to describe our project... we all know by reading the PMBOK this is certainly the sentence that have the gold medal by number of time that it appears ;) and i choose one process or tool or technique to describe what i did by process group.

Hope this helps. You are almost there.

Cheers,

Noreddine.

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 8 years 1 month ago #7100

• Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL
  • Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL's Avatar
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi,

I would suggest your project title be specific. If the project is for your company you add the name to project title.
Your deliverables should be detailed and specific, not just documentation (i.e. Project charter, risk register, stakeholders register). Also you specify areas of the project you have worked on and where you experience. As described it is like you have the project manager of all the listed projects, which is not likely to happen.

Finally, I don't know if the guidelines have changed because the time I submitted my application you are not required to specify the process Group or knowledge area you have worked on. Just spell out major activities.

Hope the above will help you. Please clearly read pmi guidelines and make sure you comply to them.

Good luck and best regards.

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 8 years 1 month ago #7106

• Amanda VanWagner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, I did contact them. They said unfortunately if they answer me further, it would constitute "pre-screening" my application which would not be permitted of them.

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 8 years 1 month ago #7107

• Amanda VanWagner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you! I actually added these process groups to my revised version, because PMI stated to me:

Further, project descriptions should consist of the following:

* A brief, one-sentence project objective
* Project deliverables summarized by process areas (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring and Controlling, and Closing - abbreviations are acceptable IN, PL, EX, MC & CL)
* A brief, one-sentence project outcome

Maybe they are changing their expectations here and want me the applicant to demonstrate that we too know where these activities fall. Interesting that they did not require this for some applications in the past though, must be a new thing!

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 8 years 1 month ago #7108

• Amanda VanWagner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Tracey,

Do you have any suggestions for how I can be clearer about where I led and directed? I am sure I could fit this in if I removed some other characters but I am not sure how to best get that message across.

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 8 years 1 month ago #7128

• Amanda VanWagner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Just wanted to update: My application was accepted! Thank you all for your advice. The main thing I edited was that I added in a specific sentence on each project that said what my role on the project was e.g. I acted as project lead on a team of 3 software developers, etc. I think being explicit about my role just in a quick sentence is what made the difference.

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 8 years 1 month ago #7129

• Tracey South
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Fantastic news Amanda! Good luck with your studies. We are here at the forum if you have any questions along the way.

Tracey
Community Moderator

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 8 years 1 month ago #7130

• Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL
  • Lazard Toe, ITBMC, MPM, CIPM, PMP, ITIL's Avatar
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Congrats.

Keep us updated. We are here to assist you.
Good luck and best regards.

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 8 years 1 month ago #7132

• Magroud Noreddine
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
that's great news Amanda. :cheer:

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 8 years 1 month ago #7133

• Rahul Kakkar
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 56

Amanda VanWagner wrote: Just wanted to update: My application was accepted! Thank you all for your advice. The main thing I edited was that I added in a specific sentence on each project that said what my role on the project was e.g. I acted as project lead on a team of 3 software developers, etc. I think being explicit about my role just in a quick sentence is what made the difference.

Congratulations Amanda and thank you for stating the change! Would be useful for future applicants.

Let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Good luck with your studies and the exam! :)
Rahul Kakkar, PMP, MBA
Community Moderator

How are we doing? Your opinion matters. To help us improve, please check out our survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/pmpexamforum

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 8 years 1 month ago #7138

• Jenna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Just out of curiosity- at the end,you did or did not include those process groups in your project description while resubmiting? :silly:

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 7 years 11 months ago #7426

• UMESH BAPAT
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
So, did you include process group in your application or not?

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 7 years 11 months ago #7427

• UMESH BAPAT
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
So did you include process groups in your application or not? :sick: :sick: :sick:

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 6 years 3 months ago #12784

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi everyone,
I am facing a similar issue and would thus appreciate your suggestions on how to improve upon my resubmission. The comments that I received are similar to her thus I am sharing the project details which I submitted to PMI
1. Project title- Improving treatment for Child Health (CARE ITCH project)
The primary objective is to engage with the private healthcare providers to reduce delays and strengthen care
pathways for severe childhood illnesses.The project has so far trained 412 healthcare providers, landscaped and
mapped 200 health centers catering to a populace of 1 million and working toward their quality improvement.
Responsibilities:
Project Scope management
Activity schedule with WBS
Stakeholder management & communication
Execution of activities & approved changes
Monitor performance and measure progress
Report writing and documentation
2. Project title- USAID Applying Science to strengthen and improve systems Project(USAID ASSIST)
The major objective of the ASSIST project in India was to develop the capacity of the public health system for
applying Quality improvement science towards process improvement and betterment of services to the
beneficiaries.The project worked with 415 facilities & 437 QI teams across 28 districts in India.
Responsibilities:
Stakeholder analysis
Activity scheduling & WBS
Operationalize & monitor project activities
Quality improvement and supportive supervision
Documentation and report writing

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 4 years 9 months ago #17819

• elmer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Amanda,
Congrats!
Could it be possible to post here the exact wordings you submitted and got accepted / approved.
doing my write ups today and will be a good help to see yours as a sample.

Thanks

HELP! Request from PMI for a resubmission of my PMP application 4 years 9 months ago #17820

• Elmer Canlas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Amanda,
Congrats!
Could it be possible to post here the exact wordings you submitted and got accepted / approved.
doing my write ups today and will be a good help to see yours as a sample.

Thanks
Moderators: Yolanda MabutasMary Kathrine PaduaJohn Paul BugarinHarry ElstonJean KwandaDaniel SoerensenAlexander AnikinElena ZelenevskaiaChristian ElmerChristine Whitney, PMP

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login