Maybe someone can help me with the following questions.
Control processes have project management plan updates and change requests as separate outputs. The former feeding into the Develop project management plan process and the latter into Perform integrated change control (cf. PMBOK Guide data flow diagrams). However “Once the project management plan is baselined, it may only be changed when a change request is generated and approved through the Perform Integrated Change Control process” (cf. PMBOK Guide 5th Edition 22.214.171.124 Project Management Plan). On the other hand, since plans are progressively elaborated, once a control process identifies the need for revising a knowledge area plan, it can trigger an iteration of the respective planning process (e.g. the Control communications process can trigger an iteration of the Plan communications management process).
- Why two separate outputs?
- Why do plan updates not go through Perform integrated change control?
- In what process(es) are plans actually updated?
- In what process(es) are stakeholders informed of the updates?
Why two separate outputs? Why do plan updates not go through Perform integrated change control?
- If I am looking accurately from your perspective, you are saying that you see develop project management plan output as part of PICC, so why is it really two outputs.
- The change request process reviews proposed changes that the project team agree require formal approval. The result of the approved change request may not affect, in each case, a need to update the project management plan.
- In what process(es) are plans actually updated? p.63 PMBOK 5th Edition. Implement approved changes to achieve the project's objectives in Direct and Manage Project Work.
- In what process(es) are stakeholders informed of the updates? p.63 PMBOK 5th Edition, In general, communicate disposition of change request in PICC. Specifically, you'll update them during manage stakeholders using your stakeholder management plan and the communication methods identified from the communication plan.
Project management plan updates vs. Change request
1 year 9 months ago #7219
The question is about the output of the processes in Monitoring & Controlling group.
Given the project management plan is approved, the change (or update) from the controlling processes should ONLY go through Perform Integrated Change Control.
What kind of change is treated as UPDATE and not required PICC?
Moderators: Yolanda Mabutas, Ahmed Amin, Scott Gillard, Mary Kathrine Padua, ERIC BARTLETT, Gail Freedman, Kevin Nason, Steven Mudrinich, PMP, Mark Wuenscher, PMP, John Wolverton, Tracy Shagnea, PMP, Jada Garrett
This interview with Simona Fallavollita (LinkedIn Profile) was recorded at the magnificient Project Management Institute (PMI)® Global Conference 2017 in Chicago, Illinois. We discuss the how, what, why and when of the changes that are coming to the PMP exam.