fbpx

Reply: Application help

Name
Your e-mail address will never be displayed on the site.
Subject
Topic History of : Application help

Max. showing the last 6 posts - (Last post first)
7 years 9 months ago #7599

Tim McLaren, MBA, PhD, PMP

's Avatar

I have to caution everyone about the cut-and-paste approach to just putting in a lot of PMBOK jargon in your application without including your specific context or project details. It is like a resume that has a bunch of meaningless buzzwords but no substance. PMI will just send you an email saying either your application is being audited or it was rejected and you should resubmit when you have a better understanding of the application process. [Blatant advertising removed by admin]
9 years 2 months ago #5082

Erin Cook

Great advice. Thank you Steve. I was able to report on different activities within each of the process groups for each year of the project.
9 years 2 months ago #5008

Steve Sandoval

Erin,

I don't think that there is any explicit guidance on this, but I would be hesitant to turn in an application that has three essentially duplicate entrires. I would choose to highlight different items on the different projects.

However, your statement that you've had "the exact same work experience each year" and that you've had "years of doing the same 3 projects" makes me wonder a bit -- by PMI's definition, a project is a temporary endeavour. Surely if these are indeed projects, they must be moving through their lifecycles, and each would have presented unique challenges and experiences over the course of the years that you've been working on them?
9 years 2 months ago #5007

Erin Cook

I have one final question about the application....
I had years of doing the same 3 projects. I have the exact same work experience each year, we did not deviate from the project plan at all. Is it acceptable to have the exact same descriptions in the work experience boxes or is it advisable to reword the descriptions a bit?
9 years 2 months ago #4988

Michael DeCicco

CH, from the summary of your project work, it sounds like you have sufficient material to begin writing up the experience on the pmp application verification form. Remember that you will need 4,500 hours or 7,500 based on education level and three years of consistent involvement, distinct project management experience. The PMP.org site offers you the best guidance as they are the sponsors for the application and make the rules. Use their handbook throughout your application process.
9 years 2 months ago #4987

Michael DeCicco

Erin, I found this link by typing in google search "pmp application verification form"
www.passionatepm.com/blog/probably-best-pmp-spreadsheet-world

There formats like this out there that you can fill in to tally up all your experience and then copy and paste the necessary blocks into the online PMP.org application.

Writing up the form should take a few days or a week as you have time to do it accurately.

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login